What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera aliciae

Some of my D. aliciae rossetes have turned a really funny brown colour. Other rossetes are fine. The funny coloured leaves are NOT producing dew.
Whats going on and how can it be fixed?
confused.gif

Any help appreciated,
Dino
smile.gif

Hey Dino,
Some of my aliciae did that, too, when they didn't like being thrust from flourescent light right into the sun
smile_k_ani_32.gif

They have since recovered, though and have resumed growing dew-producing leaves. Where do you have them? They may just be stressed for one reason or another....

Thanks shloaty
I grow it on a east facing windowsill.

It could be sunburn. Are the plants affected still producing center growth? If so they should recover. This is a species that frequently returns from the roots, so even if the rosettes die back completely keep the pot in cultivation.

It does sound like all the stuff said, but I would not think a East window would cause that....Isn't there a fungus that S. African drosera are prone to that makes them turn reddish-brown with no dew? I think it's on the ICPS seedbank page.

Joe

Yes there is, but it is usually more prevalent in enclosed situations. Without a photo it's hard to tell where this plant is at. If it is fungus, I normally would advise increasing the air circulation and possibly the use of Cleary's (PFT sells this product). In either case, sunburn or fungus, only time will produce a dewy plant again, the currently affected glands will not recover their dew.

So, it would not be a bad idea, either way, to clip all these leaves off and have the rosette put out new leaves, eh?

Joe

O.K.
Shall I just chop the funny leaves then?

<GULP>  I can't advise you on this.  Is there any way to see a photo?  If it is fungal, it might be a good idea.  If it is just a case of sunburn, the leaves if green are still capable of providing energy to the plant.  Its a tough call.  I'd hate to say cut it, and then have you lose it.  One thing you could do is take a few of the leaves, and start some leaf cuttings.  I think that the leaves would bud even if sunburned.  Leaf cuttings are always a good insurance policy.

Tell you what.  You do as you feel it.  If you lose the plant, I can replace it for the cost of shipping which is 3.85 (assuming you are in the USA)  Maybe you can try the trimming of the rosette experiement, and let us all know the results.  This would be good information to have.  I believe the plant would return from the roots.  The South Africans can take a lot of abuse.  I froze my pot of D. aliciae solid last winter.  The rosettes withered and turned brown.  By spring, new growth had already begun from the side of the rosette, and the plants now look better than they did when they froze.  This was also the case with my D. regia.  Many of the other South African species also have a periodic rest where the rosettes become ratty looking and wither.  With  slightly less wet conditions (just moist) and good air circulation they recover and begin their cycle of growth again.  This often happens just after flowering.  I think a seasonal rest, although not strictly required, really helps maintain the vigor of these Drosera species.  They are built to take it, and as such, we should give it to them.

Back