User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sundew n00b, need a spot of help.

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i must disagree spec, while the actual amout of "light" coming from the lamp may or may not be enough, the spectrum is what matters.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can buy a compact fluorescent light in the right spectrum that screws right into your desklamp. Get the highest wattage one available, in either "daylight" or "cool white". Warm white is not as good. This will be fine until you get your terrarium set up, at which time you can use cheap fluorescent tubes to grow just about anything.

The good thing about these fluorescents is you can put them right over the plant since they don't produce too much heat.

Capslock
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

My photos are copyright-free and public domain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ June 27 2004,9:38)]i must disagree spec, while the actual amout of "light" coming from the lamp may or may not be enough, the spectrum is what matters.
    I grew pygmy sundews with a desktop lamp. They were blood red, and they looked great. A desktop lamp works fine. But in a place like Vegas, it would prolly crisp the plant, since you would need the bulb 3-8 inches away from the plant...

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you use incandescent bulbs you have to be careful about heat. They produce a lot of heat whereas fluorescents are much cooler. Small shop lights aren't really too expensive.
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    spec, just because your desktop lamp apparently had the right spectrum, doesn't mean his does. however, his might work, and i hope it does [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right now I've got your standard 60 watt incandecent bulb, but the lamp is pretty tall so I don't have to worry about it heating up the plants, but they do lose a fair chunk of light as a result. However, if flourescent provide a superior light spectrum, I'll grab one of those instead. What's the preferred wattage? Max my lamp can handle is 100, and I don't want something that makes the room painfully bright.
    Some random words.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    how the #### can u find the humidity level guys? i saw a 10gal. terr at pets smart for $23.95 im about to get that! couldnt u buy flurescent lite in home depot and Grow lights?
    Fly eats dung,plants eat fly, dog eats plant, asian eats dog
    [img]http://home.**********.com/users/aznsushi41/Feeding/Fed%20Fly.jpg[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can get little barometers and other humidity meters to stick on/in the terrarium to measure humidity levels.
    Some random words.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast