What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I recently went on a camping trip with my family to Killbear park in ontario. near the beaches, i was surprised to find batches of drosera. i dont really know the species, but i think its anglica. i had to get my shoes and socks wet to get close with these guys, for i had to go the long way around the pond or i would step on them. the pictures are sort of blurry, they were taken with a video camera from my parents friends who came along.

Killbearcp.jpg

View of the beach. you can see the cps in the bottom

Killbear1cp.jpg

here, you can see the lake feeding the shallow ditch in which the cps rest.

Killbear2cp.jpg

another image of the pool

Killbear3cp.jpg

a nice batch of the cp

Killbear4cp.jpg

another clump of the drosera. probably all devisions of itself or its seeds. it looks like its growing in the rotting leaves of itself, rather than on the sandy bottom. most of the bunches on the ditch are like this, exept for a few really large mats.

Killbear5cp.jpg

one of those large mats. this is only a small portion of it (1% maybe). it has small channles of water running through it like veins.

Killbear6cp.jpg

i really liked this batch of plants. the setup of the grasses and rocks are really good. i may try to make one of those mini cp bogs with this setup, but with the tall grass replaced by sarrs.

Killbear7cp.jpg

other than batches and mats, some of them grow in very small clumps or singular altogether. the singular ones are about 2 times larger than the matted or clumped ones.

well, that was the main attration for me in my trip, :lol:. some more info i observed about the habitat. the water is always moving and is very clear. the plants are about covered in water exept for the leaves. the cp are growing mainly in its own dead leaves, and the bottom is sand. there is no shade of any sort. they are restricted to the area of the ditch, and only very small ones grow along the muddy areas of the beach out of water around the ditch. the plants were mainly covered in moths and small flies. when i whent, the plants just finished flowering, and it seems for the second time this year as i see empty pods on other flower stems. the flowers are white in color. i managed to collect a few seeds but not many of them where ready. Zongyi ;)

P.S: May have a few more photos coming. the others are tanken by a conventional camera and needs developing. i dont know if i would scan them and put them up for i need to check if they came out blurry or not, lol.
biggrin.gif

P.P.S: i dont think anyone at the park actually knew they were carnivorous plants! there was no ribbon to say that it was a protected area (which was done in many places to protect a rare aquatic grass), not mention of cps in the brochure or on the website, and you see people riding bikes over the ditch and others spitting in it. i had to take these pics early in the morning before the bike riders come over them like a trampede. you cant really see the tracks as the water probably washed them away the earlyer day. i think they might fill it some day to increase the beach area
smile_h_32.gif

They look like D. intermedia. Very nice to see plants in habitate. Thanks for sharing.

You may want to inform them of the wonderful plants they have in the area. They may put up signs to keep people from hurting the area further and possibly add them to the protect area list.

are drosera protected?
i thought it was only all neps, VFT,cephalotus,sarrs, Byblis, Darlingtonia, and certain pings that were protected.
just a thought,
Hellz

according to a the UK cp forum, it is an intermedia like NickHubbell said. i guess drosera are probably not protected, but most of the viewing areas are fenced off in the park to avoid destruction. Zongyi

Thanks for the nice account Zongi. It's always great to see the plants in habitat.

Drosera intermedia has one of the widest distributions of the genus, and is not protected. Still, they may be in short supply within any given area, as they are here in my local bog.

Back