Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My sundew is croaking.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My sundew adeale (or however you spell it) had a bit of a rough time after I transplanted it from its super tiny pot to my terrarium. A few leaves died, but after a few days it seemed to perk up a bit, and was producing 4 new visible leaves in the center. Everything was looking peachy.

However, yesterday, all that center growth is now brown and dead, and I haven't the foggiest idea why. Its got light, its got humidty, its watered, and its got ample dirt space. The other plants inside it (a Green dragon VFT, and a Judith Finn Neph) are doing just peachy as well, so its all the more confusing.

The leaves in the middle are still alive as is the stem. Is there any way I can still save it?
    Some random words.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation

What kind of substrate are you using, and how much water?

-Homer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Best advice I have is to leave it alone. The plant may have shocked from the transplanting. It may recover, it might not, but if you touch it any further, it will die for certain. Since the stress caused die back, leave the plant to mend on its own. A touch of Superthrive (2 drops to 1 gallon H2O) will help alleviate the shock somewhat, and feed the root to help nurse it back to health. DO NOT move it or touch it any further. It has to have time to recover.
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    minerals? [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/confused.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If its minerals then it won't recover. Try checking the minerals content with a TDS meter or just avoiding the mix if it looks dodgy...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At the risk of looking stupid, I've no idea what a substrate is. :\

As for water, I'm using distilled and enough to keep the soil wet, but not so much as its soaked all the time.

I thought about it being shock, but it was transplanted about two weeks ago and the new growth had started coming only four days ago. I figured that would be a sign that it had gotten over the shock it incurred (it definetely had some as most the leaves curled up and stopped producing dew of any kind. I'm not familiar enough with plants to know if shock lasts that long, but if that's the case then I'll be sure not to touch it.

I don't have a TDS meter so I can't check for mineral content. The soil I used is the stuff that comes from this site, but it was originally planted in a sphagum moss mixture that's common in the kind of plants you find at Home Depot and Lowe's (the company that produced it is called Gubler's).
    Some random words.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Substrate means what it's planted in. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/cool.gif[/img]

It seems like sundews are pretty tough. Sometimes they die down completely, and then start from scratch. Good luck.
    The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have done what you can, and I agree, now the best course is to just let it be. If the center growth is good, the plant will probably revover when it builds up some energy. If it does die back, this species is notorious for returning from the roots. Good luck with your plant!
    "Grow More, Share More"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast