Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Soil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a pool at my house so we might have some pool filter sand, Thanks everyone!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ July 12 2004,9:31)]i agree, you should never use river sand unless you test it. it's alot safer and easier to just buy sand.
    But what kind of sand? [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_l_32.gif[/img] Maybe my bro was wrong, it could be lawn sand, the lady at the shop told me it was the same thing. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/mad.gif[/img] Still, that's why I wash it 15 rounds or soak it for 2-3 nights.

I've been trying to get pool filter sand, but it seems the only way I can get it is by sneaking some out of the pool filters, no shop sells it here. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/confused.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I meant what king of sand is just 'sand', it must be of some type, you know, beach sand, river sand, sandpaper sand...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recently had great difficulty getting any good quallity sand in the Seattle area (well I mean Home Depot, Lowes, Walmart etc didnt have good stuff) So I asked around and nearly all company's in my area and many throughout the US and canada get there sand and bricks etc. from Mutual materials, so if you need sand and live in Washington go to them, they will sell to private individuals. If you live elsewhere here is there link Mutual Materials on there you will find a where to buy link. They can get white silica sand blasting sand in all the available grades!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would go to your local lumber yard,I got 75# of pure white coarse industrial sand for less then $5. Ask what type of sand they have and go from there. I had great difficulty finding white sand....even driving 60 miles to go to lowes and to no avail,until I went to the local lumberyard and they had it! It`s very nice sand, I think I will never go back to that nasty perlite for non Nepenthes again!(although I might use bark instead of perlite for my Neps too once my current perlite supply runs out)
    [img]http://home.**********.com/users/pondboy/Neps/Neps%20sig..JPG[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    larger grade sands are difficult to find at lumber yards, they typically stock no larger than 30 grade... the link i posted here is where most lumber yards in most of the country get there quality sand! they have a bigger selection

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last spring I had my father bring me a load of sand for a small bog I created. The sand was from a material yard and it is my understanding it is the type used by bricklayers. I have no idea what grade or type it was but it looked clean and was free of debris- no fecal matter either. I mixed this sand in with my shagnum peat at a ratio of 1 to 4 before adding rain water. I then mixed in crushed white pine needles. The few plants I had in there did fine but they weren't CPs. CPs were added about a month ago and they were doing fine... until the squirrels and cats got into the area. I hate to sound blonde but... the sand was a typical sand color which was a rusty beige and I did not have the foresight to rinse it. Do I need to dig up that entire bog and replace the planting medium? I have a few CPs that survived the critters in there that were a gift from a personal friend and I want the best possible growing medium for them.

Additionally, this weekend I created the exact same mixture and filled up pots to use for CPs that are being sent. I noticed excess rainwater that drained out the bottom of the pots was distinctly "sand" colored. I thought nothing of it until I read this thread. Should I throw out the mixture in my pots and run out and buy that white play sand and more sphagnum peat real quick and start over or am I ok? I have not received the plants yet so I have some time if I need to throw out the existing mix and start from scratch. I am sort of hoping I am ok with what I have but please give me the bad news if I am not as this is the exact same mix I was planning on using in another little bog area specifically for hardy CPs that will be set up next spring at another location.

Also too, I did put 3" of straight sand at the bottom of my bog before adding 12" of mixed sphagnum peat/sand/white pine needles. I also placed a few inches of unmixed sand at the bottom of every individual pot.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The topic of acceptable sand has come up from time to time and the consensus is that silica sand, pool filter sand, and industrial sand is safe for CP's. The latter sounds as if is what you described.

It is also highly recommended that all soil media (LFS, sand, peat, etc...) be washed before using. Some people microwave their media as well.

By being outside, as opposed to many of our CP pots, nature should be able cleanse things.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast