What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Questions.............

i dont know if im doing things right or im doing them wrong and stressing them into blooming but i am now on the 4th species(other than pygmies) to bloom. this one is nidiformis and its sending up 2 flower stalks. so is this one self fertile? do i need to pollinate it? do i need a different clone in order to pollinate it? also im not sure where nidiformis fits into things. is it temperate, sub-tropical or tropical? where is it from? do the seeds need to be stratified?

Rattler

i can't help you on much, but if the plant looks healthy then your doing things right.

Drosera nidiformis is from a limited locale in South Africa.  To show you that appearance is not always a consideration for  seggregating species, this plant is a good example.  For years it was regarded as a form of D. dielsiana, with which it has many similarities; the two also form a fertile hybrid.

It is a short lived tropical species.  There are two forms i am aware of, both with typical tropical care considerations.  One is a red form, the other was circulated for decades as D. "sp. Magieliesburg".  The latter remains mostly green in full sun, the glands attaining an orange hue in such conditions.

It's cultivation is typical tropical.  After flowering the plant may be set back at which time it should be maintained just moist and out of tray water.  It likes warm days, cool nights, good air circulation and at least 40% humidity.  It is a ready self seeder and sows into other pots making it a somewhat weedy species over time.  There is no stratification needed for the seed.  Plants are somewhat susceptible to fungal blight, and i find a top dressing of LFS is a good protocol.

thanks Tamlin. its growing along side the other weed, capensis, and seems quite happy. im guessing i have the green form. hmmmm through true dumb luck its getting the care it needs. its sitting in a tall rubermaid that keeps the humidity in that range and allows good air circulation, the house heats up during the day due to typical summer temps here and air conditioning drops the temps at night.

Rattler

Back