What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. hartmeyerorum

Hi,
How much water does this need? I had mine in good light and it grew well but then it was underwatereed and it burned. recoverin however. there is a topsoil so I couldn't see how much water it had when it burned.

No idea yet. When my seedlings come round to germinating then I'll worry about that.
smile_m_32.gif
How big are your plants? Do they grow fast? And how long do the seeds take to germinate?

Hi Matt,

I usually keep my plants in a centimeter or two of water. I don't think water level matters, though; allowing the soil surface to dry out between waterings doesn't do any harm, nor does a high water table. The plants are native to ephemeral streams, IIRC, so probably experience a good amount of variation in this regard.

Unless you have your plant next to an incandescent bulb, it probably wasn't physically burned. Can you post a pic?

Jason,

It sounds like you received the seeds already. Good luck!

P1010010.jpg

Hi Forbes,
Your plants are great!How old is she?Is it annual like indica?
Thanks your tips!Of course thanks your seeds too:;):

rex

hk cps gallery

Thanks, Rex. I don't have a record of that plant's age anymore - I gave it away at the last LACPS meeting. It was probably about six months old at the time the photo was taken. In good conditions, D. hartmeyerorum grows at about the same rate as D. indica. It's also an annual, but propagation by cuttings is slightly more feasible than with D. indica. The species should grow well in Hong Kong.

Thanks again for the H.K. D. indica seeds. My plants are growing well (next to D. hartmeyerorum). I'm hoping to see a flower within the next couple months.

P1010031.jpg

Hi forbes
smile_k_ani_32.gif
I bought it at lacps from you lol
the plant was underwatered, but its growing now. it was very close to a bulb {cf]
thanks,
Matt

Oh shoot...I was so busy germinating them and doing all the other plant stuff (new plants just arrived), that I forgot to mention it. Thanks Forbes!
smile.gif
You said they take 1-2weeks to germinate, is that right? Heard it somewhere. Does an annual mean that they die in a yearly cycle after flowering and fruiting/producing seed?

Another chance to marvell at your plants Forbes! Perhaps mine will lok something like that, hopefully.

Jason

'Honk Kong'?!? Do I love spelling errors!
laugh.gif
cool.gif

Matt,

I was just surprised you were able to burn it and that other factors weren't in play. A pic may have been interesting, but since the plant's on the mend I guess it doesn't matter.

Jason,

They typically die after producing 2 to 4 scapes. Yes, germination should begin in two or three weeks.

if anyone has extra seed, i'd love to trade for some!

me too! i'd like some if up for swap

I have a few extra...

Back