Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: When to cut flower scapes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey, just wondering when I should cut this off. I read Tamlins description on how to harvest seed. I was just wondering how much of the flower bud needs to turn brown. I don't want to wait too long and get my whole terrarium full of Spatulata [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img] Thanks.

The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would say it's about 3/4 ripe. Waiting awhile will net you more seed, but the lower pods might split and sow into other pots. I would wait a week or two yet I think.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are they all pretty brown when they are ready? Maybe I can cut the bottom two off and leave the rest on there for a week or two. This is in a terrarium, so if they did sow themselves in there......I think the rest of my plants wouldn't have any room. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why don't you cut off individual pods as they ripen? I do!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is a valid option as well, just be sure not to cut the whole scape by accident. That's never happened with me of course.....
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok......I could cut them off individually. I might be beating this to death..... [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img] but how do I know when they are ripe and ready to be cut? Do I have to wait a while after the pod turns brown? This is the first time I have ever let a plant flower.....and I don't want to do it wrong. Thanks! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My problem is after they turn brown and I have dried them in an envelope for a few weeks, I see only a few loose seeds. When I try rolling around the tiny little pods, I just make a little wad of mush and only a small amount of additional seed comes out. My hands aren't THAT big and I consider myself dextrous, but these things are too small to handle.

I end up getting mostly flower parts that I am embarrassed to send out! Everybody else seems to get nice clean packets of seeds. Then I get frustrated and throw the mangled up pods and flower parts into a pot and the plants germinate later on.

Maybe I'm not letting them dry out enough?
    John

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    some plants have relatively large seeds like byblis, some seeds like most drosera are incredibly small though. i often get packages with dried up petals, stamens, pistils, etc in them. it doesn't bother me a bit.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast