What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. regia

• Thread starter BobZ
  • Start date
  • Tags
    regia
Well, there are "supposedly" two locations of D. regia...one is more montane than the other. I wonder if "Big Easy" is one location and the others are the TYPE location?
I had the second location in seed, but I sent it to people for tc, and never heard anything about it.
Cheers,

Joe

I think I worked it out with Robert that Joseph's clone is likely from the higher elevation. I was surprised since the plant seems to have no dormancy requirement. Big Easy is a fine clone wherever it is from, and I am having good success with it in the nearly hydroponic method of cultivation. It survived last winter's freeze, returning this spring after dying off at the top. The plant actually multiplied, forming an additional crown. I have since transplanted it into a 2 1/2 gallon container, hoping to see larger growth, but the plant has not responded any differently than in its former 8 inch pot. Maybe in time I will get to see thse meter long leaves the species is famous for. BTW: I have a hunch that the plants name stems as well from the "pointed crown" effect the leaves have in addition to it's impressive size.

Tamlin, I, myself, am waiting patiently for those huge leaves....But I have a while yet, as I'm working with 3" leaves right now! But I'm pretty happy, as that's a 50% length increase since I got it a couple'a months ago from Joe. It is indeed a great clone!
My only problem seems to be that I can never keep more than 3 or 4 leaves on the plant at once....I don't know why, either. But the die-off/replace timing is very close. Maybe it's not getting enough to eat next to the large binata mulitfida (that pig!)?

Schloaty...my plant did the same thing for a loooong time.  It would grow...but then the other leaves turned black and died off.  So it really wasn't making any headway.  I was quite worried about it...it stayed rather small for many months with just a few leaves.  But then all of sudden it threw like a 6" leaf and hasn't stopped growing since.  
smile.gif
  Now the leaf lengths are around 10-12" each and its producing many leaves.  It just never looks "pretty" since its SO good at doing its job...covered in gnats and flies.  But its a nice healthy plant.

Hang in there and wait...I'm sure yours will hit that growth spurt too.

P.S...William kept telling me "Stop worrying! It will grow!" And yeah...he was right.
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tamlin Dawnstar @ July 23 2004,7:08)]Don't let the cool night thing bother you. There is a dofference between optimal and tolerable and this is a tough plant. Mine has survived over 100F and down to 28F!
My D.Regia is thriving in a window with 12 hour sun so hot that my lush green sphagnum moss is red and dead
smile_h_32.gif

Don't let the heat thing or cold mess you up, mine's doing just awesome and with temps in the 90's-103 on average it's doing pretty well for itself

Back