What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cut flower stalks still produces seeds...

As all you know, my pet bunny nipped off a seed producing flower stalk that was forming seeds. Well, I set the cut flower in water like a cut flower and added a dot or two of fertilizer to keep nutrients flowing for seed production, well as a result of that the stalk was dried today and suprisingly it must of produced at least a 1,000 plus seeds that look identical to the others so it must be viable. Even a few flowers bloomed but those were snipped off to save energy.

So if you guys have any incidents like me it is not over yet!
Set the stalk in water and see what happens...

talk about determined... 1,000 seeds. what plant was this?

Edit: Hey i just remembered, i sent you a SASE. Great timing, put some of those in there!! (lol)
smile.gif

1,000? Wow, bet the folks that sent in for SASE on that in your other thread are gonna be happy campers.
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Amateur_Expert @ July 26 2004,1:59)]talk about determined... 1,000 seeds. what plant was this?
The plant was a binata, if I'm not mistaken.
smile.gif

You mean like the 'cut' flowers mums buy to inspire their household?
smile_m_32.gif
Well then I guess it could work the same way, but anyhow what a cool surprise!

Maybe some of the flowers that had already bloomed b4 the flower was bit off had seed set (before the flower was placed in water)?
smile_l_32.gif

Fygee's right...wahhoooooooo!!!
laugh.gif
cool.gif

A question just came to my mind...hey peter does your binata self pollinate? I'm about to set up a thread to try investigate which cps (doseras) binata can be crossed with.

jason- members of the binata complex need a seperate clone for fertilization, not just a seperate plant, but a seperate clone with differnt dna.

I don't advise doing this at all unless you happen to accidently cut off a stalk for some reason... The flowers that were pollinated before hand got ripe but never to the point of producing viable seeds (Still green pods) the thing is as with any flowers that are cut they only last for a certain amount of time so it depends on how far the pods are in their way of producing seeds.

Back