User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Wild sundews vs rain?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One great thing about my job is I travel through lots of areas that have many bogs/fenns. Whenever I have time I take my "breaks" by sloshing around some wetland looking for signs of our local CPs. Today was a milestone for sure. I was dressed in my business attire..wingtip shoes and all when I spotted an old bog I hadn't visited in several years. The owner passed away and the property had been in dispute. I couldn't resist a peak so I trekked out of my car through the shrubs, deer flies, mosquitos and bucket loads of sphagnum moss. It started to rain too. I was delighted to discover the drosera population had exploded. Dozens of bright red clusters of D.intermedia and D.routndifolia dotted the landscape. I was amazed at how well they hold up under the onslaught of rain. In fact, they seem to swell up and look nicer during the storm. I grow several pots of both species on my porch that look OK....but they don't hold a candle to these wild ones. Could it be the direct contact by rain that increases their vigor? I use to think sundews in collection were the best looking. Not so anymore.
    Professor Carrington..\"We owe it to science to stand here and
    die rather than destroy a source of
    wisdom\".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 'dews that are outside are currently experiencing copious amounts of rain (we've had at least 4" in the last 48 hours), and they seem to be holding up just fine. I think they look good outside because sun is superior to lighting, no matter how good a set up you get.
    17 Nash Rd.
    North Salem, NY 10560

YOU! Outta my gene pool!

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lucky you for being able to see such sights! I'm glad to hear of any wild population thriving. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wish the sun wasn't so hot hear its so hard to even breath [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_h_32.gif[/img]
    Join the CCPS, you wont regret it: http://s4.invisionfree.com/CCPS