User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New cp grower : to try or not to try?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi everyone!

This is my first message here at Terraforums, and I must say I am glad to have found a nice place to get information and discuss these famous but rather uncommon plants.

So, there's something I would like your input on.

My 2 inches wide, 1 1/4 inch high Drosera Intermedia is starting to grow what appears to be a group of flower buds. Now, I know that flowers can greatly deplete a plant of it's strenght; so I'm wondering, should I risk it and try to pollinate my plant or am I better to cut it off quickly before disaster strikes?

I do not consider myself a good gardener, I'm even surprised none of my CPs (1 Dionaea Akai ryu, 1 Dionaea Dente, 1 Dionaea typical, 1 Drosera Intermedia and 1 Drosera Capensis) has died on me yet. (Well, maybe not the D. Capensis, it is supposed to be a resilient variety and easy to grow after all.)

So what do you think? Should I try?
    And isn't it still a bit small to be producing flowers?

Thank,
    Cath
    If the dragon is bigger than his treasure, it's not worth the effort.

My Growlist

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hon, i have seedlings who produce flowers.

no need to polinate it, they self when they close. the production of seed won't hurt, this will be a perfect opportunity for you to get some experiance under your belt with drosera seed [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img] some of my drosera species have up to 5 scapes per plant right now and the speed of growth is barely noticable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome Cath,

The only problem that I have experienced in letting Drosera flower is that you end up with little Drosera plants coming up all over the place. The seed are extremely small and are easily dispersed. I have never noticed that flowering Drosera has any negative effect on the plant's vigor. Certainly letting it flower will not cause a disaster. A 2-inch mature D. intermedia is approaching average size.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, that was fast! Thanks for your quick answers =)

Really? That's a surprise, pretty much every plant I have that has flowered seemed to give it's energies to the flowers rather than it's leaves.

Well, I grow my Drosera in a small pot basking in a tray of water, so if I end up with a lot of little Drosera plantlets overcrowding my pot, I can just carefully remove them and transplant them to another pot, right?

Do they really self polinate themselves? Even without bugs of the wind to help the process?

Well, since you seem so positive, I'll give it a try and keep you informed.
    If the dragon is bigger than his treasure, it's not worth the effort.

My Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have let my sundews flower too this year for the first time, and didn't notice much difference. A small difference with my D. Rotundifolia, but nothing major. Flowering can have quite an effect on a venus fly traps, but from what I have read on here, sundews are fine.

Welcome to the forums!
    The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This species does self pollinate. I generally let all my Drosera flower as they will, but I have noticed a depletion of energy in some species, and a tendency for many to rest after flowering. The plants most affected in my collection are Drosera brevifolia, capillaris and many of the South african species but especially D. collinsiae and D. natalensis. D. adelae is also famous for dying back after flowering, and some research has shown a sbetter survival rate amongst the pygmy sundew species if some of the scapes are removed.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Sszvein @ Aug. 04 2004,4:11)]Do they really self polinate themselves? Even without bugs of the wind to help the process?
    most drosera self without need for wind or insects. some drosera must be pollinated manually, like pings, and some drosera need pollen from a seperate clone for fertilization, such as members of the binata complex.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with Tamlin; some drosera species will slow down a bit when flowering. My D.intermedias have numerous scapes right now and they've definitely slowed down somewhat. My D.capensis are also sporting two good size scapes each and they've slowed down too. I'd still leave the scapes on though. Flowering doesn't effect drosera that significantly like it does dionea. They do self-pollinate so just relax and wait for the new arrivals. Good luck!
    Professor Carrington..\"We owe it to science to stand here and
    die rather than destroy a source of
    wisdom\".

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast