Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Capensis not hungry

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What factor determines if a Drosera will "eat" a bug stuck on it's leaves?
    I have a 4 inches wide D. Capensis that is leaving the bugs I give it sitting on it's leaves for days without even curling. While my D. Intermedia, the quarter of the Capensis' volume, is proudly presenting anout 12 corpses in it's spoons.

Picky eater? Lazy? Or just unhappy?
    If the dragon is bigger than his treasure, it's not worth the effort.

My Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sszvein, try giving it freeze dried blood worms (mosquito larve), that does the trick for my capensis. I assume the capensis have "dew" on their leaves, right?

-Homer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No dew = no appetite [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well it has some. The drops are not the huge bright red drops I see on your pictures, but tiny transparent drops on the tips of the red "hairs". So...small apetite then? ^_-

I've read that high humidity help produce dew, but I don't want to spay water on them and risk diluting the goo, thus defeating my prupose with spraying anyway.
    Solution = wait?

PS : Mosquito larves?!? Ewww, bon appétit everyone! How do you find those anyway? I'm pretty sure I will find none in my backyard.
    If the dragon is bigger than his treasure, it's not worth the effort.

My Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    same as mine. Maybe the cap can't be bothered (too tired) to curl the entire leaf at this point in time. Are the individual tentacles moving?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BTW, you can get loads of mozzy larve if you leave a great crap load of stinkin' stagnant water outdoors (or even in indoors for a few days). Mother won't be too happy though...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The leaves on my capensis don't always curl unless the bug is really struggling. It could be that the bugs you're putting on there have a hard exoskeleton, so it may not look as if they are being eaten. There is quite the West Nile scare in my area, so mozzies are not an option. Try fruit flies, fungus gnats, and smooshed ants.

For humidity, put more water in the watering tray, or you could try putting it in a large plastic container to keep in humidity. Also for some of my plants at home the fan we have going is drying them out, so the solution was to put up a wind shield to block the constant (dry) airflow.

Mostly, it's just a waiting game
    A flytrap ate my homework!
    -Michelle

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i find my capensis curl around anything, even fishfood powder which i feed them.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast