What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is this a fungus?

Well this morning I looked at the tray that I have my Drosera Spatulata seeds sown in. I look really really close at them to look for some sprouts that may have popped up early. I really wasn't expecting any cuz I just sowed the seeds about 4 days ago. But there was one thing that I DID notice on the soil. I noticed that there is a bit of algae growing on the top of the soil. Which didn't worry me that much. But I also noticed that there were some weird orange sprout things on the soil which I though at first was just some sand. But as I looked closer, it looks more like a fungus. Do you think I should worry about it to much? Or are maybe these orange things just some early spatulata seeds. I did notice that the orange things were growing mostly around the areas that I put the most seeds. So they may in fact be seedlings. I hope so. What does everyone else think? Am I in trouble? Or should I be happy? BTW here are the conditions that it grows in.

1. Since I planted the seeds the humidity hasn't dropped below 60%.
2. It gets as high as 85 degrees during the day and 60 at night. It mostly stays at 70 at night though.
3. The tray is in full sunlight on my east facing deck.
4. The sphagnum has not dried out since I panted the seeds...not even close.
5. The seeds are planted in 1 part sphagnum peat moss and 1 part sand.
Alright, I hope that's all you need to know oh btw I live in PA.
Thanks.

It doesn't sound good, orange is not a color associated with any stage of Drosera growth. The fact that the color aappears where the seed was concentrated leads me to think they have been attacked by a mold or fungus.

Usually when seed molds like this it was dead to begin with.

You might try microwaving some of the moistened peat for 5 mins on high (keeping a good eye on things so they dont burst into flame!), and consider a rinsing protocol for your potting materials before employing them. A good clean substrate is important to prevent issues of mold, algae and moss from compromising the tender seedlings.

If you need fresh seed to experiment with let me know.

Orange seedlings?
confused.gif
No way. New species? Nome...it may be as weird as alien fungus from outer space, if its going to be orange seedlings.

Edit:---I just remembered that when I got the seeds they sat in my room for about 2 weeks before I could actaully sow them because I didn't have any soil for it at the time. I never even thought to put them in the fridge. Jeez I'm an idiot. So do you think there is still hope?
BTW if you don't think that there is any chance for their survival then yes I'd love some more to grow....this time the right way. I beleive I already sent a SASE to you for some other different type of seeds if you really don't think they will germinate then you can just stick the spat seeds in with the other seeds that I ordered from you. My name is Kyle so you can tell which envelope I sent.---:Edit End

No! Just microwave the peat before you sow the seeds, when making your mix! Kills of fungus and mold spores.

Capslock

Thanks for the help guys.....should I just throw the seeds and peat away now?

I have great news maybe! If D. Spatulata seedlings are red than one of the little buggers managed to pull through after that fungus attack! I hope I hope I hope I hope! *fingers crossed*

Nevermind it was just another one of those stupid weeds that have been popping up in all of my pots. *sigh*

Back