What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Please help this newbie!

Where can i find perlite folks?
i have some pure sphagnum peat moss and my friend tells me i need perlite, but i dont know if i can find that by itself, please post some replies! thanks..

by the way, im growing soe VFT's and D. capensis

Hmm, you should be able to get perlite at any garden store or Home Depot. Just make sure you don't buy the kind that's by Miracle Gro that's impregnated with their cp-killing fertilizers!!! Same goes for the peat moss.

Anyway, you can also use pumice in the same way as perlite, and for your plants, silica sand would work great, too. You can find pure silica sand at most pool supply stores.

Capslock

Hmmmm. I just posted the following on an adjacent thread, but I will repeat it here because it is more relevant.

Look on the bag for ingredients. A few years ago, Miracle Gro began to market Perlite laced with Miracle Gro fertilizer. This would not be good for your CPs. A while ago, I was looking for some Perlite and all I could find in the local garden shops was the kind with fertilizer added. I finally went to a plant nursery and found a large bag of plain perlite.

Also, there was a thread somewhere that discussed issues with Perlite and recommended that it be washed several times before using, because during the manufacturing process (expansion of naturally occurring siliceous rock by heating), various nutrients may be released. For more information, see
http://www.perlite.net/
http://www.perlite.org/perlite.htm

Do you think that you could wash the miracle grow food out of the perlite? I bought some by accident and it feels like a waste.

I bought the same stuff... had to do a replanting again because of the error. I just use it for regular plants that we are growing outside. Pretty much worthless for CPs as far as I can tell.

I found some perlite at a Frank's Nursery... that's what we have around here. I double checked with the manager guy and he said that it is pure and fertilizer free. If you have a Franks, go look there. Best I can offer for advice.

I got the miracle gro perlite at Lowes which was right beside the CPs... tricky tricky.

What a pain in the butt! Good thing there is plent of Schultz's around here, and it's cheaper than Miracle grow products.

Joe

I get my perlite from OSH.Large 3cu. ft. bags cost only around $11. Much cheaper than those small bags that cost $3 or $4.

The bigger you buy, the cheaper it is, is what I have learnt. So, I'm planning to stuff my house with 200 litre bales for all I care, and not give a d@mn to buying peat moss or perlite for the next hundred years or so. Yeeeeehhaaaa!
smile_n_32.gif

Can't usually find those large bags in Lincoln, NE

smile_h_32.gif

I got some, thanks for your help you guys!

Back