What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Roridula gorgonia...

I just found a Roridula Gorgonia for sale, the seller said that it is a carnivorous plant, and it looked like the drosera forum would be the place to ask about it.

What can you tell me about it, care-wise? I kinda like it, very cool-looking plant.

Thanks /Quensel

it's not a "true" carnivore. it's a host to an insect (capsid i think???, assasin?). it's a symbiotic relationship. the plant captures insects, the assasin/capsid bugs eat the insects the poop on the leaves, and the plant absorbes nutrients in the poop.

Wrong forum to be talking about this.
There is a Quasi CP forum, you should have put it there.
smile_m_32.gif

Yes, its a sub carnivore. And, both bugs do the digesting.
smile_m_32.gif

Although assasin bugs are more rare than capsid bugs.........
Dino
cool.gif

Oh yeah, its worth getting it because it is a rare plant in cultivation
smile.gif

Dino
cool.gif

if you get two i'd be interested.. pm me for my growlist.

i think it's in the process of evolving into a true carnivore; it just hasn't finished evolving yet.

2 parts peat to one part each of sand, peralite, and lava rock. water from above and no fertilizer, and the seed easly germinates on wet soil. hope it helps, congrats on getting this awsome plant
biggrin.gif

i still don't think it's carnivorous, i think it's semi-carnivorous.

ditto with B. liniflora. i think B. liniflora has a symbiotic relationship with a fungi or bacteria or that lives on the leaves.

...and where did that info come from?

read it somewhere lol.

I cannot understand the term "semi-carnivorous". I believe that plants are either carnivorous or non-carnivorous.
From the cp faq:
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]A plant is carnivorous if it attracts, captures, and kills animal life forms. It must also digest and absorb the nutrients from the prey to qualify as a carnivorous plant.
Not really sure why B.liniflora is considered carnivorous when Roridula isn't. Of course, there are a few cp's that rely on bacteria to break down prey. IMO, mutualistic relationship should be included with digestion.

Thanks for all the info gyus
smile.gif

Dino, the reason I posted here is that I didnt know where to post, and it does kinda resemble a dew.

Thanks /Quensel

I want that Roridula..............
I know you didnt know, you do now!!!
smile_n_32.gif

Dino
cool.gif

Back