Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Byblis liniflora soil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy

Hey I have some Byblis Liniflora seeds on their way to me right now and I've heard that they are a little "tricky" to germinate and grow. So far I'm using a big pot because they can't be repotted and it says in "Savage Garden" that deep pots will help them live longer. It also says that they like 2 parts sand and 1 part sphagnum peat moss. But, I want to be extra sure about what I am using to germinate these seeds. I'm somewhat of a newB and this is my first time with any Byblis plants. Can someone please give me a small guide to get them through germination. I need to know the best way to do it and the best medium to use.

I would also like to know if fungicide is NEEDED to germinate them. In "Savage Garden" it says that damping off mold can be a problem and I do not have fungicide at the moment. If I need some fungicide I need to know of a type that is safe for CPs and can be found at a shop of some sort because it would take too long to order.

I will attempt to germinate these seeds outside under the Pennsylvania sun where it usually doesn't go over 85 degrees during the day and it stays around 70 at nights with really good humidity at all times. Please tell me everything you know! Thanks in advance for all the feedback.

--Kyle--
    Growlist
    I'm back?

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my seeds havn't germinated yet, but it is possible to ship live plants. about a month ago i was shippd 7 small plants, 4 are still alive and producing flower buds. i grow my plants in mid 80's day temps, low 70's night temps. i grow them in 2/1 peat sand. there is superb air circulation and lots of humidity. they are dripping with dew.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really nice, I'm looking forward to getting them. So does it need 2 parts sand? Can it grow in anything else? At the moment I do not have any silica sand. At least I don't think I do. Thanks for the feedback.
    Growlist
    I'm back?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you have the right kind of sand , 2:1 is a good mix. I think I used pure milled sphagnum when I had them. I would alwyas mist with a fungicide with any seed, as you never know what could spring up.
    BTW, nothing tricky about these.

Cheers,

Joe

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i guess you could grow them in alot of stuff, but i use 2/1 sand/peat because A: it was reccomended to me, and B: that's what i grow almost everything in.

i use fungicide when i take cuttings, sow seeds, ship plants, and transplant plants.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Honestly, byblis liniflora is one of the EASIEST plants to germinate that I've grown. I've grown them in peat, peat/sand, and live spagnum. It doesn't matter, as long as you give them good light and keep medium moist. With most cps you'll want to use a watering tray, but for germination I like to keep things a little less wet to prevent the ick from growing. Just make sure that the medium is damp/moist, but not soggy. You can use fungicide if you want, but I don't have any experience with that so I can't help you for that part.

Though it is true about moving them, they are delicate at times and it's best to have them in a permanent container. Have fun with them, they are one of my favorites to grow.
    A flytrap ate my homework!
    -Michelle

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I give a hearty thumbs up to what Wickedthistle said! I had them in enclosed container at a window sill. Within a couple weeks they germinated. I kept them enclose for another week or so and started leaving the lid off di\uring the day. Now it is totally off. They grow SO fast!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm happy that you two say that. I was really worried that I might not be cut out for these beautiful plants. What would you say is the best method for germination that won't lead to fungus. I hate fungus so much and I haven't got any fungicide. My spatulata seeds died that way and I didn't even grow them in a container. I'll grow them any way that won't lead to fungus so what would you say is best? I know that growing them in closed containers can lead to fungus very easily. I already know to microwave the soil first because fungi doesn't like heat and they must all die! DIE FUNGUS DIE!! So which method will not lead to evil fungus growth? Outdoor or indoor? I know that outdoor would mean in an open container so that the seeds don't cook and inside would mean that it would be in a closed container. I don't think that my plant light is strong enough either. And none of my "safe windows" face the right direction. So would outdoor be the best?
    Growlist
    I'm back?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast