What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Red form-d.e.d. dead

I've had this mature 'red form' capensis for about four month.
It was doing wonderful produced one scape that yelded seed.
The second scape stopped mid growth and never matured. Once it fell off the plant began sending up new leaves and appeared very healthy. A week ago or so the third scape began to form. In a matter of three days the plant died. It is in a undrained southern patio insulated container. The Utric Bisquamata, and D. Nidiformis still appear to be fine as well as the off shoots of the cape. I had several typical capes growing next to it and their healthy as ever. Does anyone know why this plant gave up the ghost? 3 Weeks ago

Mine has proven sensitive as well, often dying back after flowering. Like all South African Drosera, this one has amazing recuperative powers. Keep the pot less wet until new growth is noted and then return it to typical culture. Tale some leaves if possible for cuttings just to be on the safe side. I hope your plant will return.

Thanks Tamlin, It helps knowing someone W.E.I.R.D
smile.gif

And, as always, I value you're opinion. I would blame it on the heatwave we recently had , if not for the typical growing well beside it in a smaller container. I thought their might be problems with the flowering process after the second one but if you saw the link it
"looked" healthy. Oh well time to play the waiting game yet again.

Mine all seem to grow best in cooler conditions as well. Both my plants are looking peaked right now. The rubra form seems more sensitive than any other D. capensis I have grown. Playing the waiting game is an inevitable part of Drosera cultivation, but it is never fun.

Back