What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. scorpiodes picture

adnedarn

I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az
Admin
Well you see... I have NEVER had any luck with gemmae... Although, I have had quite a few chances between Tamlin and others... BCK durring his last giveaway of scorpiodes gemmae checked with me a few times only to find I had no luck. After I lost the second batch that he sent me I again gave up on gemmae. But he contacted me again and insisted I took the last of his gemmae or he was gonna trash it, so I did. Well I recieved like 60 of those things I think, potted up 3 pots worth and put them in diff locations. To my surprise one location did work so I moved the other 2 pots to that local and all 3 pots are currently growing. Here is a picture of a portion of one pot. This represents maybe 1/6th the scorpiodes plants I am currently growing...
Thanks BCK for not giving up on me and givimg me multiple chances with the gemmae!!!
D.scorp.jpg

Andrew

I'd like to name that picture: "Forest of Doom"

Looks good Andrew! Never tried growing Drosera from gemmae but would love to... keep us updated on your progress!

-Juan-Carlos
Miami, Fl
www.jcreef.bravehost.com

How old are those right now? Awsome plants
biggrin.gif

those are great. i want to try D. scorpiodes but i'm kind of afraid to try..

Cool plants and cool people here. Nice to know the people won't give up on us even if the plants sometimes do.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ Aug. 15 2004,5:39)]those are great. i want to try D. scorpiodes but i'm kind of afraid to try..
If my plants make it till fall and grow gemmae you could be first on my list if you want. Just Pm. me if I post that they have gemmae.
smile.gif

thanks noah!

Thanks all for the kind comments.
smile.gif

I pulled out the little container that he shiped me them in and the post mark was May 24, '04. So that is about 3 months old. ...not too bad
smile_n_32.gif
I too will defenatly be passing arround the gemmae if they produce. But I'm not taking anybody on the waiting list at this time. :-D
Andrew

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ Aug. 15 2004,6:39)]those are great. i want to try D. scorpiodes but i'm kind of afraid to try..
BCK gave me ~40 gemmae, originating from Vic Brown & Cephalotus88. That was my very first Trading Post acquisition. It has been 7 months hence and they are still doing well, surviving all those drenching downpours and my inexperience. They MUST be pretty tough plants!

I'd Noah doesn't have enough to supply you with, I'd be happy to send some your way.

I think there will be LOADS of scorpioides gemmae in the fall going around.  
biggrin.gif
 I have two pots full myself.

That's how it works...a plant once hard to find becomes "common" if its shared by growers who in turn share again.  The ripple effect.  I can't imagine anyone wanting this plant who won't be able to get it this fall.

Thanks to everyone for sharing their gemmae this past fall.

And HI to SRduggins...welcome to the forums.  
biggrin.gif
  You're right...nice plants and VERY nice people here.  I hope you join in and have fun.  
smile.gif

It's wonderful to see the initial gifts of these beautiful plants increase exponentially. It has always been my desire to see this sort of generosity become a hallmark of our hobby, so unlike many other plant hobbies. Please continue the good work of sharing!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I think there will be LOADS of scorpioides gemmae in the fall going around.    I have two pots full myself.

I have about a dozen scorpiodes myself, at least.  I think they originated from Vic Brown & Cephalotus88 as well.  This fall I expect hundreds, if not thousands of tiny gemmae from all my pygmies, as they are faring well over the summer.  

There should be pleanty of gemmae to go around this fall, I expect.  I plan on sharing as much as I can since I was a big recipient of gemmae in 2003.

... this is gonna be fun  
smile.gif

-Homer

glad to see you got them going adnedarn

[b said:
Quote[/b] (homer @ Aug. 17 2004,3:02)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I think there will be LOADS of scorpioides gemmae in the fall going around.    I have two pots full myself.

I have about a dozen scorpiodes myself, at least.  I think they originated from Vic Brown & Cephalotus88 as well.  This fall I expect hundreds, if not thousands of tiny gemmae from all my pygmies, as they are faring well over the summer.  

There should be pleanty of gemmae to go around this fall, I expect.  I plan on sharing as much as I can since I was a big recipient of gemmae in 2003.

... this is gonna be fun  
smile.gif

-Homer
Did you notice that Cephalotus88's were faster on the draw than Vic Brown's, though sown at the same time and kept in identical conditions?

They are beautiful plants. I have some on the way as well and is looking forward to recieving them. It is nice to see all of the sharing!

Yeah, this is going to be a big gemmae season, I think. I have lots of pygmies thanks to Tamlin's generosity, and hopefully I'll be able to spread the love come fall.

Capslock

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Did you notice that Cephalotus88's were faster on the draw than Vic Brown's, though sown at the same time and kept in identical conditions?

I didn't keep track of this detail unfortunately.  
smile_h_32.gif

Hey! I just loooooved that shot! They really look like little robots (well, in my own world they do
smile_l_32.gif
)!

So, where did you put the container that grew? What did you do different this time around?

Thanks in advance for the info!

Joe
smilie4.gif

Back