What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera seeds..

How long would it take for capensis, nidiformis, fiiformis & spat. to germinate?

I noticed that my D. nidiformis started germinating after 12 days.  As for the other 2 drosera, I do not know.

-Homer

filiformis needs stratificiation,

the others i have germinated within 2 weeks ( i hate waiting on seed, i'm so impatient!)

My only experience with filiformis is through a leaf cutting. It responds well to this kind of propogation. D. nidiformis and capensis took ~two weeks to germinate.

it doesnt take long for seed to germinate (a week fastest in my experience) unless it needs strat which it usually takes a couple months including strat
Hellz

2 weeks is a very good track record: some seed can take years to germinate, depending on species. Never give up on a sown pot! If nothing else, you can always use the medium to sow a different genera of CP in, then if the Drosera do decide to appear, you will know which species it is as long as you keep the original marker as well.

Stratification is a period of colder temps, usually a couple of months, that some seeds(like filiformis) need to experience before they will sprout.

glad to help.
smile.gif

some people do it in the fridge, i leave mine outside year round and after the winter, in the spring, they sprout.

Can they freeze and still sprout? It gets wwaaaaaaayyyyyyy below zero here in the winter.

Perhaps Wesley or Plantakiss would know. The one is from N.Carolina and the other from Virginia. NC DOES see its freezes, but not to the extent that N. Dakota has.

I will probably just use the fridge to be safe. Thanks Jim
smile.gif

Back