Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Drosera hybridization

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey -

I'm not very knowledgeable about sundews, but I'd like to have several native species in my bog.

How easily if at all do these sundews hybridize? D. brevifolia, D. capillaris, D. filiformis, D. intermedia, D. rotundifolia.

I ask because I'd like to avoid hybridization if possible.

Thanks.

- Patrick
    Newnan (Atlanta), GA
    - what do you do when your bog is full? you build another. and another. and another. then you buy some pots. and some more. and some more. and some more. then you wonder how much it would cost to rework the hydrology in your yard to place your house on an island. -

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hybrids readily form amongst all (with the possible exception of D. capensis, I am not sure off the top) the temperate species but you needn't worry, the resulting hybrids will all be sterile. It is a rare event to find a natural hybrid within the range where the species grow together so fear not.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I visit several local wetlands which are loaded with intermedia and rotundifolia. The lines of demarcation in every situation is stunningly clear. Intermedias on one side and rotundifolia on the other. Looks like a junior high dance! I'm amazed at the lack of natural hybridization. In some cases the two species are within inches of each other. Your collection should be fine.
    Professor Carrington..\"We owe it to science to stand here and
    die rather than destroy a source of
    wisdom\".

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is the demarcation that drastic? Are there no viable hybrids between rotundifolia and intermedia, something similar a tokaiensis?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks.

Interesting that the Drosera hybrids are sterile while the Sarracenia can get as mixed up as you like!

- Patrick
    Newnan (Atlanta), GA
    - what do you do when your bog is full? you build another. and another. and another. then you buy some pots. and some more. and some more. and some more. then you wonder how much it would cost to rework the hydrology in your yard to place your house on an island. -

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    D. tokaiensis is a remarkable Drosera. Like D. anglica it is likely a recent hybrid that was granted fertility through an accident of cell division. Normally in hybrids there isn't a complete set of chromosomes, and so the seed is infertile. Occasionally the genetic material fails to divide during meiosis, so one daughter cell gets none and the other gets all resulting in a complete set of chromosomes and consequent fertility. Without such an accident there is no fertility.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've read (D'amato) that D.beleziana is a naturally occuring hybrid between rotundifolia and intermedia. I've never come across it though in the half dozen or so fenns/bogs I've visted locally. The species demarcation is always very clear in this area. I'll be investing in a digital camera soon so I'll be able to post pics next spring.
    Professor Carrington..\"We owe it to science to stand here and
    die rather than destroy a source of
    wisdom\".