What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hey -

I'm not very knowledgeable about sundews, but I'd like to have several native species in my bog.

How easily if at all do these sundews hybridize?  D. brevifolia, D. capillaris, D. filiformis, D. intermedia, D. rotundifolia.

I ask because I'd like to avoid hybridization if possible.

Thanks.

- Patrick

Hybrids readily form amongst all (with the possible exception of D. capensis, I am not sure off the top) the temperate species but you needn't worry, the resulting hybrids will all be sterile. It is a rare event to find a natural hybrid within the range where the species grow together so fear not.

I visit several local wetlands which are loaded with intermedia and rotundifolia. The lines of demarcation in every situation is stunningly clear. Intermedias on one side and rotundifolia on the other. Looks like a junior high dance! I'm amazed at the lack of natural hybridization. In some cases the two species are within inches of each other. Your collection should be fine.

Is the demarcation that drastic? Are there no viable hybrids between rotundifolia and intermedia, something similar a tokaiensis?

Thanks.

Interesting that the Drosera hybrids are sterile while the Sarracenia can get as mixed up as you like!

- Patrick

D. tokaiensis is a remarkable Drosera. Like D. anglica it is likely a recent hybrid that was granted fertility through an accident of cell division. Normally in hybrids there isn't a complete set of chromosomes, and so the seed is infertile. Occasionally the genetic material fails to divide during meiosis, so one daughter cell gets none and the other gets all resulting in a complete set of chromosomes and consequent fertility. Without such an accident there is no fertility.

I've read (D'amato) that D.beleziana is a naturally occuring hybrid between rotundifolia and intermedia. I've never come across it though in the half dozen or so fenns/bogs I've visted locally. The species demarcation is always very clear in this area. I'll be investing in a digital camera soon so I'll be able to post pics next spring.

Back