Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: D. binata

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb

As we all know, fall will be here in a matter of weeks for us up north.

My small d. binata has been growing well on my porch, basking in the morning sun and pigging out on gnats. I'm worried about what to do with it come fall. I've heard about it's dormancy period which is about 3 months, right? It dies down to it's roots and then comes back. But winter in Minnesota is much long than 3 months and I don't think I could prolong it's rest without it rotting away.

My plan for it is:

Leave it outside during early fall until it dies down.

Put it in a cool (50 - 60 degrees) basement window which recieves a small bit of light and keep the soil just damp.

When it starts to grow again, put it in my mini-greenhouse until the weather warms.

The problem is that it will become too big for my mini greenhouse and then what?...

Or could I just grow it indoors on a somewhat bright windowsill with my houseplants? It would probably still go dormant...

Any suggestions?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have one too and I've been thinking about it as well. What I think I'm going to do is let it go dormant with the winter and then after 3 months I'll bring it inside and put it under a growlight and ease it into the warmth of a terrarium. Once the average temperature is between 65 and 75 outside I'll put it outside to grow for the summer.
    Growlist
    I'm back?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a very good idea. I could set a growlight above my houseplant area and set the sundew under it after dormancy. The grouping of all the plants will also boost humidity around the d. binata.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I grow mine outdoors in the warm months. If your humidity is at least 40% it will do well, provided it has a lot of water. In the winter I give mine the same temps as I give the Sarracenia and Dionaea, and all return each spring about the same time. Mine is now a hedge in a 2 gallon container.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You know, I have never put any of the common non-US Drosera outside, like binata and camale reproductive organ. So if in a tray with water, they will do okay, or are you having the water fairly deep, Tamlin?

Cheers,

Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i Think ill just take all my tropical plnts in my house and leave them on the window for the winter ill add some artificial lighting as well to keep them happy till next spring
    Nike SB is Bananas

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Joe you miss spelled capensis again![img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img]
    [img]http://home.**********.com/users/pondboy/Neps/Neps%20sig..JPG[/img]

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    whats a camale reproductive organ? it sounds kinda intimidating ; i wouldn't wanna run into one of those late at night...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast