Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drosea capillaris

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is Drosera capillaris an annual or a perennial? My plants trace back to south Georgia and Mississippi, if their location helps answer the question.
    Newnan (Atlanta), GA
    - what do you do when your bog is full? you build another. and another. and another. then you buy some pots. and some more. and some more. and some more. then you wonder how much it would cost to rework the hydrology in your yard to place your house on an island. -

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would say perennial, at least in habitat, lol. Hopefully in cultivation too if you don't go too far wrong. They can be a little sensitive at times, and unpredictably as to season, depending on where they are from. Being so far South I would assume the plants to behave similarily as the Florida populations do. I have found these to have a distinct summer rest (vs. the Northern most range forms who seem to go "dormant" in the colder months) where they stop growing, lose their dew and generally look sad and ratty. At this time idf they are kept moist but not wet, they will remain alive until they perk up as the temps become cooler (esp. at night). My plants regulrly and predictably go through these cycles. It's part of the nature of the species. Simple rule of thumb: no growth/ratty looking = out of tray water, no full sun if possible, and good air circulation. That does the trick for me every time. It also works just fine for D. brevifolia which can also be regarded as a perennial, at least where conditions are favorable, despite their bad press.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, your advice sounds about right so far...I've had a few plants in my bog garden since March 2004, and they looked really bad in June, July, August...in the last few weeks they have perked up and begun to bloom.

Maybe the conditions are to their liking after all...

Thanks!
    Newnan (Atlanta), GA
    - what do you do when your bog is full? you build another. and another. and another. then you buy some pots. and some more. and some more. and some more. then you wonder how much it would cost to rework the hydrology in your yard to place your house on an island. -

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sure thing. Some species just can't be expected to stay handsome all the time. If you have them in a bog garden you are probably giving them the best they can receive. I love this species! It is so variable across its extensive range, there is always a new form waiting to be grown. Maybe we can swap sometime if you have spare plants. I do not grow any forms from Georgia or Mississippi. I have some nice plants from Nokomis, Alabama grown from seed that are quarter sized now and will soon be looking for a good home. Please PM me if you would like to try this form in your bog.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where does "long arm" originate?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pasco County, Florida.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are other populations as well of the "long arm" form. I have seen such from both North Carolina and Alabama. There are likely others as well. Some (e.g. the North Carolina population) are apparently self sterile. The Pasco CO. form differes from all others I have studied, both in the thinness and more tetrete petiole, and most significantly in its fertility. It is a very variable species, and nearly every population expresses a different phenotype which has led to speculations as to the possibility of introgression with other North American species like D. intermedia and D. brevifolia.

I am very interested in cultivating plants for other areas across the range, so if anyone has collection data on the plants they grow, please contact me if you are willing to trade.

My growlist currently includes:

Drosera_capillaris_Autatga_Co_Alabama UCD
    Drosera capillaris “Nokomis, Alabama”
    Drosera capillaris “Northern U.S. range form"
    Drosera capillaris “North Carolina Population”
    Drosera capillaris “Virginia Population Northernmost occurrence"
    Drosera capillaris “Southern range long arm form Pasco County, Florida (Bob McMorris)”
    Drosera capillaris “Praia do Imbé, Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil”
    Drosera capillaris “Giant” "Crestview, Florida"

I am looking for plants, vs seed., or preferably both.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The form from Georgia is rather small and unorganized in appearance, but the Mississippi form is startlingly geometric in its roundness. It is larger and looks like a many-spoked wheel.
    Newnan (Atlanta), GA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast