User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Dormancy needs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've moved these drosera (multifida, capensis, binata and a couple little unidentified guys from a Nep pot) into a terrarium and they seem to be doing well, except perhaps a non-upright behavior from the binata. Anyway, which of these will benefit from a dormany in the fridge? I don't really have anyplace else that'll reliably sustain a dormancy... so for VFTs and a sarr. I've bare-rooted them and put them in a ziplock in the fridge 'till Easter or so. Any advice?
    Ben Rodman
    Brewing in Lyons, Colorado
    Groovin\' and jivin\' and diggin\' the skin I\'m in!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uh, as far as i know, capensis dont need dormancy..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The other two won`t need dormancy unless they go dormant,they don`t have a fixed dormancy requierment.
    [img]http://home.**********.com/users/pondboy/Neps/Neps%20sig..JPG[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Beauty! BTW, I've seen bantered around discussions of night-time temp. drops benefitting these drosera, any feedback? I have been seeing brown tips on the leaves, and in a 80% RH tank that seemed unlikely as a culprit. The tank has a nnumber of highland neps too, though they've been fine without a significant drop. Daytimes are around 90 and nighttime lows about seventies. Should I investigate chilling at night?
    Ben Rodman
    Brewing in Lyons, Colorado
    Groovin\' and jivin\' and diggin\' the skin I\'m in!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most Drosera like cool nights, with a few exceptions which are truely tropical.

Regarding the D. binata:: if the plants are exposed to cold conditions, they will go dormant. If you can give them good winter conditios with MUCH light, then I would let them grow. If you can't give them a lot of light, it might be better to let them rest with a Sarracenia like dormancy to conserve their energy. I don't find this species to do well long term inside. They really need a lot of sun to keep their good form.

Note than different types of D. binata have different growth habits. Some leaves are held erect, others always cascade. If yours is from seed it is likely the small red form. This one is erect growing, mostly. Other vars. never seem to be in my outdoor conditions.

Hey Sean! Do you have the details of the different Australian forms internalized? Which are erect, which are decumbent?
    "Grow More, Share More"

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    can you please list those few exepction tamlin? i want something that likes it HOT besides the petiolaris complex.