Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Biblis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Edit: okay, apparently it is spelled Byblis and my reference spelled it wronge, lol
    Lately I've taken an interest in Byblis species. Something about their funny forms and flowers that look like they sprout of the tips of the leaves just makes me smile. So far the only species I have worked with, or for that matter seen in real life, or even seen decent pictures of is B. liniflora, the annual/short lived small species. Now I knew about B. giganta, but not about the other less common 4 species. I would really like to find a nice longer-lives species to both grow for myself and at the Meijer Gardens. Does anyone here grow these plants? Even if it is just the more common B. liniflora I'd love to hear stories about them because frankly it's one group of plants I just don't know much about. So far the only thing I've ever done with them is collect a little extra seed and set it in a new pot so the Meijer gardens has a back-up pot in case the something fries the existing pot. The plant in the existing pot is very old and falling all over the place, will probubly die soon. I would have loved to see it at it's peak, but that would have been last year. Anyone have pictures to share? I really love these funny little plants and I don't think we spend enough time paying tribute to them. Thanks all

-Darcie

P.S. I have an awsome window in my dorm room this year so I can bring my plants with me, yay!

P.P.S. I have a pod off of the B. liniflora from the Meijer Gardens, but I'm affraid I'll do something stupid if I germinate them at home without knowing more about them, so germination stories are also welcome... especially for the "tricky" vireties in case I ever actually manage to get seed... you would think more people would have it seeing how much the things produce, but whatever
    There is no item greater in value than life, for without life value would cease to exist.
    My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have just the normal byblis liniflora. I find that they are the easiest to germinate of the cp's I've grown. Yes, easier than d. capensis! Doesn't matter what mix of soil, just keep it damp and add light.

Here's a picture of my current one taken a few weeks ago. It is in a high humidity tank outside, so the temps are 60-100 daily. No air circulation either! You may notice it's in a vft pot. It should be putting out a stalk this or next week, so this is what they look like just before reaching their peak.
    [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]
    A flytrap ate my homework!
    -Michelle

I've got a magic window! elgecko's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can not tell you much about them as I just recieved 2 small seedlings from jimscott a few weeks ago when he visited. They are doing wonderful in my terrarium. I'm sure if jimscott sees this thread he can tell you about germinating them.

My Grow List Updated 8/24/17

I've got a magic window! elgecko's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They were also Byblis liniflora. Looks like they get tall. I do not think it will be in the terrarium that long. It appers they grow fast.

My Grow List Updated 8/24/17

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi guys, What a wonderful community we have here! I received seeds from Wickedthistle this Summer and put them in one of my lab pipette tip dispenser containers. I mixed roughly equal parts of peat and sand and just sprinkled the seeds on top. I added DI water and shut the cover - and waited. A week later, over the course a few days, 23 seedlings emerged. I had losses when I went on vacation, but have 5 healthy plants right now. Hopefully, they will soon flower.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome pic!
    Join the CCPS, you wont regret it: http://s4.invisionfree.com/CCPS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img] I'm fairly formiliar with how to germinate the little buggers, even the "tricky species" it's after that I get worried. And of course I'm still looking for seed from any species other then B. linaflora
    There is no item greater in value than life, for without life value would cease to exist.
    My Grow List

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i dont know why i can't germinate b. liniflora seeds. i had 7 seedlings sent to me, and luckily 2 are still alive and thriving. i'm surprised any survived.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast