Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: D. ascendens and d. paradoxa

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey,
    At the BACPS meeting this weekend, I picked up some D. ascendens and D. paradoxa from our good friend Forbes (thanks!)

From what I remember, the D. ascendens likes it cold, and D. paradoxa likes it hot. Is there anything else? What about dormancy? The D. ascendens is outside for now, but how cold can it take? It's mid-fifties at night these days here.

Also, I've put the D. ascendens in a tray, and the D. paradoxa I'm keeping wet but not standing in water.

Any tips and info would be greatly appreciated. I didn't intend to come home with any drosera this weekend, but well, I have no willpower with CPs, and there were so many available!

Capslock
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

My photos are copyright-free and public domain

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Currently, I have germinated D. paradoxa seedlings, open tray, mix of peat and sand, south window sill, uncovered - and doing fine. They are only ~1/2" in diameter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hmmmm i would have though Tamlin would have chimed in by now. i recieved some ascendens seeds from him several weeks ago and am waiting to see lil sprouts. ive been wondering about their care also.

Rattler
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry gentlemen I have been a bit busy with assorted absurdities.

Drosera paradoxa is the easiest of the Petiolaris in cultivation. Warm conditions and tray watering keep the plant in active growth and forestalls dormancy. If dormancy happens (and sometimes it does) it is important to reduce the watering and provide good air circulation. Avoid cold snaps wherever possible.

Drosera ascendens does prefer cool conditions, but can take the surface heat provided the roots do not become warm. Plants in a 2.5 gallon pot do the best, and have experienced 105F on occasions with hardly a wimper. I froze a pot solid last winter fr 2 days, and that individual is now in full and happy growth. These plants want a large container in my opinion, otherwise the roots get warm, and the rosettes wither. If this happens, treat it as any other sub-tropical Drosera in its resting (and ugly) stage: reduce watering, keep it out of direct sunlight, and give good air circulation and the plant will regrow in time.

I grow my D. ascendens in pure milled live LFS, D. paradoxa is in a sandy peat mix. Both want a lot of light, and humidity 40% or above.

Both can be sutbborn in regards to germination, so don't cry for at least a year!
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    im trying the seeds in a mix of mostly coco fiber with some shredded LFS and a lil bit of peat to try and get past my sludge problem. should i just place the pot of seeds in the light next to my Darlingtonia? it doesnt seem to mind the present conditions and is supposed to need cool roots. i should have minimal problem with moss. sorry but i have no live LFS to mess with.

Rattler
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

drosera guy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice description William!
    Now I know why my D. ascendens died...too bad!

Capslock: Note that you can propagate the petiolaris complex by leaf cuttings...use the search engine for more threads regarding that!

Good growing!
    Jan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got a D. paradoxa from Forbes as well. It's a nice little plant. Capslock, we can compare notes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you can give them enough light, I think they will be fine with your Darlingtonia. I get best germination results ziplocking the sown pots in bags.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast