What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. binata question

OK, more questions:

I have a few small (2cm & 2x leaves) D. binata that have appeared as hitchhikers in some Sarras.

I want to transplant them to their own pots.

1. As I am repotting the Sarras this weekend, is my best bet to carefully separate them getting as much of the root zone of the Binata as I go?

2. Do they have any issues with transplanting?

3. What would be a preferred soil mix.  I am thinking either 2:1:1 peat:sand:perlite, or, just pure LFS (seems to work very well for my D. capensis).

4. Is keeping them under the same conditions (glasshouse set up for Neps) as my D. capensis ok?

Thanks,

Aaron.

1- they really dont have delicate roots- they are very fleshy and your unlikely to hurt them
smile.gif

2- nope, not ime.
3- 2/1 peat sand sounds good. i dont like perlite, and you might as well mix some LFS in there.
4- true binatas aren't tropical- you can grow them with your sarrs year round.

i wrote all that before i saw how small your plants are- it's best not to bother seedlings at all. let them get a few inches tall before you bother them. and for all you know, they might not be binata at all, they could be another member of the complex.

It's quite easy to pick a binata seedling when it is 2 cms in height. They can be transplanted easily at this time of year with little problems, but by all means be careful when uprooting as the less shock the quicker they'll recover. Better to do it now before the hot temps arrive. They may struggle a bit in the glasshouse with your Neps because they love very high light levels. They'll grow OK but certainly won't look as good as they could.

They grow in very boggy soils and are the only species of Drosera that I grow in almost pure peat- in summer, the wetter the better. I do have a couple of pots with a bit of sand thrown in though. I wouldn't bother with the perlite because they don't need the open mix that some others appreciate.

Thanks JLP and Sean,

I transplanted 3 tiny seedlings from my Sarra pots to their own pots (80x80mm) over the weekend.

All are sitting in one of the water trays with about 10-20mm water at the base.  All going well so far.

What was a nice find though was a couple of small D. spatulata.  They are also transplanted out to their own pots now.  One is coming into flower.

Aaron.

sounds cool i put a small baby in my terrarium, and all its leaves are twice as big as the last one, the only problem is it grows almost directly into the light

Back