What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D.burmannii

Cindy

Staff member
Hi, I thinking of trying a leaf cutting from my D. burmannii. Before I wield my pair of scissors, what's considered an adult size?
smile.gif

Dunno, my D. burmannii died before it started to flower. My brother's started flowering when they were about 1.5 - 2cm in diameter.

Hi Cindy
D. burmannii are really quite small, at about an inch to an inch and a half in diameter. You won't really need to take cuttings, since it's a heavy-weight seed-setter. The plants only take a couple of months to reach maturity from seed as well. Some forms are easier to grow than the other, but considering you have the typical or 'Piliga Red' form, they should do well for you. Have fun!

Amori

The largest form in circulation seems to be the "Beerwah" all green form. I have had them silver dollar sized (rarely) and 50 cent piece sized (often).

Other forms are generally the size of a quarter.

This is an annual in habitat, but will persist with good care in cultivation. I no longer bother trying to nurse them as I get abunadant "weeds" from self sown seed, so it maintains itself well once established.

I am looking for "Piliga Red" so if anyone has seed they are interested in trading for give me a PM. This was discovered by my friend Robert Gibson and I very much would like to study this clone. Also note that this name is best contained in double quotes as it has not yet found publication as a cultivar, which is indicated by single quotes.

Hmm...I'm attempting to take cuttings because I've seen flower stalks appearing but they never made it more than a centimetre high.

shokuchuu, you mean the typical form is also called "Piliga Red"?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Cindy @ Oct. 06 2004,8:16)]Hmm...I'm attempting to take cuttings because I've seen flower stalks appearing but they never made it more than a centimetre high.

shokuchuu, you mean the typical form is also called "Piliga Red"?
Why didn't the flower stlks make it over a metre. Were they influenced by some other unatural force, say, lights?

I don't think the typical form is the "Piliga Red" otherwise Tamlin won't be looking for it, as he already has it in the form of weeds.

I was given a packet of seeds this spring and they germinated too well. They crowded themselves out and the largest is still only 1" in diameter. They never flowered for me
smile_h_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Why didn't the flower stlks make it over a metre
I doubt that a small plant like that could make flr. stalks over a meter LOL!!!! jk

Sorry I wasn't clear on that one Cindy. I meant EITHER the typical form, or the 'Piliga Red' form. They're different. The latter is also extremely weedy nonetheless!

Amori

Any special requirements for these guys? I wonder how the fast action leaves look?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I doubt that a small plant like that could make flr. stalks over a meter LOL!!!! jk

Oops, a mtre, sorry. But I do know some doseras that produce huge, metre snakelike flowerstalks though...
smile_k_ani_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Any special requirements for these guys? I wonder how the fast action leaves look?

Not that I know of. They grow well and fast in a tropical climate, and supposedly produce a ton of seed. I daresay the laeves can close in less than a minute or so if stimulated enough, tried it on one of my own plants before.

Jason

NO! A CENTIMETRE. Can't believe I made the same mistake in my effort to correct the first.
confused.gif

There was once a leaf close in 3 seconds!
smile_k_ani_32.gif
I was so dumbfounded because I was clearing some of the algae and accidentally touched it. So VFT-like. However, it haven't been able to repeat the same stunt.

WOW! that fast? I NEED some!
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]NO! A CENTIMETRE. Can't believe I made the same mistake in my effort to correct the first
ROFLMAO!!!!!!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

are those sundews w/ the huge flower stalks big? or small?

I would say moderately big, but not as big as the ones which try to sneak into your pants from the top grow shelf...

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]There was once a leaf close in 3 seconds!
smile_k_ani_32.gif

smile_k_ani_32.gif
smile_k_ani_32.gif
and
smile_k_ani_32.gif
!!!!!

Never seen a dosera move in the range of "noticability" before, eh?

Here is a picture of my D. burmannii, the penny is so you could help judge the size. I grew this from seed I guess it must be a green form as the D. dielsiana next to it has turned a red but the burmannii remains all green.

burmanni2.jpg

This is the D.dielsiana that I mentioned
dielsiana.jpg

Looks very nice Seedling! Nice good size healthy dew production and the all green color is cool.:)

Back