Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: D.burmannii

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, I thinking of trying a leaf cutting from my D. burmannii. Before I wield my pair of scissors, what's considered an adult size? [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

Cindy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dunno, my D. burmannii died before it started to flower. My brother's started flowering when they were about 1.5 - 2cm in diameter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Cindy
    D. burmannii are really quite small, at about an inch to an inch and a half in diameter. You won't really need to take cuttings, since it's a heavy-weight seed-setter. The plants only take a couple of months to reach maturity from seed as well. Some forms are easier to grow than the other, but considering you have the typical or 'Piliga Red' form, they should do well for you. Have fun!

Amori

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The largest form in circulation seems to be the "Beerwah" all green form. I have had them silver dollar sized (rarely) and 50 cent piece sized (often).

Other forms are generally the size of a quarter.

This is an annual in habitat, but will persist with good care in cultivation. I no longer bother trying to nurse them as I get abunadant "weeds" from self sown seed, so it maintains itself well once established.

I am looking for "Piliga Red" so if anyone has seed they are interested in trading for give me a PM. This was discovered by my friend Robert Gibson and I very much would like to study this clone. Also note that this name is best contained in double quotes as it has not yet found publication as a cultivar, which is indicated by single quotes.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm...I'm attempting to take cuttings because I've seen flower stalks appearing but they never made it more than a centimetre high.

shokuchuu, you mean the typical form is also called "Piliga Red"?
    Cindy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Cindy @ Oct. 06 2004,8:16)]Hmm...I'm attempting to take cuttings because I've seen flower stalks appearing but they never made it more than a centimetre high.

shokuchuu, you mean the typical form is also called "Piliga Red"?
    Why didn't the flower stlks make it over a metre. Were they influenced by some other unatural force, say, lights?

I don't think the typical form is the "Piliga Red" otherwise Tamlin won't be looking for it, as he already has it in the form of weeds.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was given a packet of seeds this spring and they germinated too well. They crowded themselves out and the largest is still only 1" in diameter. They never flowered for me [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_h_32.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Why didn't the flower stlks make it over a metre
    I doubt that a small plant like that could make flr. stalks over a meter LOL!!!! jk
    Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish-Euripides
    wikipedia rocks! (except for species info)(CPers-add your vast knowledge of CPs to wikipedia&#33
    A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it
    Get all the fools on your side and you can be elected to anything

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast