What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dormancy questions

Cynic81

Frakkin Toaster
I just need to make sure which sundews I have need dormancy. I know Binata and Capensis don't need it, but I'm still a bit unclear on Scorpiodes and Adalae. Also, do Spathulata and Alicae need dormancy? It's starting to cool down outside so I'm bringing all the non-dormancy plants inside now before it gets too cold.

Thanks for any help
smile.gif

D. scorpiodes does its dormancy in summer, particularly if it is brutally hot and dry - as some parts of Australia are. D. adelae also comes from Australia, but does not require dormancy. D. spatulata does not require dormancy - at least the common ones we buy at garden centers. I do not know enough about aliciae and will be looking for an answer to that one myself.

D. aliciae like all the other South African sub-tropicals have periods of stress die back. It's a survival mechanism. If things aren't to their liking, they close up shop above ground, bide their time, and return from the roots. D. aliciae is no exception. Funny thing, when the rosettes return to growth they are almost identical looking to D. dielsiana's ping pong paddle look only acquiring full character with age.

Back