Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Drosera filiformis var. filiformis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with Bugweed, it is an odd one.
    I have been growing a D.filiformis all red variety that is well documented as coming from Washington County, FL.
    The first year it formed a hibernacula about August, the hottest part of the year. I put it in a rather shady spot, watered it infrequently and it bloomed this summer and produced seeds which I sent out to a number of members. I have not heard back if any of them germinated. It is very bushy this summer...no signs of dormancy and a new plant has appeared beside it.

The plant

The flower

Capturing a large crane fly...it eats everything.

Have a look at more of my plants at the link below.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Forbes,

Do you grow your plants outside(ie greenhouse, ect)?
    If I have a VFT in a 10 gallon downstairs under lights, and I keep the same photoperiod forever, it will eventually start to get crappy(it usually takes a few years), so in that case I have to change the photoperiod or something to cause it to go dormant.
    That is all I was trying to say.

Cheers,

Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice lauderdale!
    [img]http://home.**********.com/users/pondboy/Neps/Neps%20sig..JPG[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Joe,

It looks like I was typing while wearing blinders... I meant to say that I haven't seen any reason to have fluctuating environmental conditions to encourage any Drosera species to enter dormancy. Under my relatively uniform indoor conditions, plants will enter dormancy at any time of the year if need be (as is the case with typical Drosera anglica or D. rotundifolia, for instance) or will continue growing year round without experiencing a decline in health (D. anglica HI, CA X HI; D. rotundifolia "Evergrow," D. nagamotoi, etc.).

I do grow some plants outside (no greenhouse). If I take a D. anglica from Alaska out of dormancy early indoors, then transfer it outside in late spring, it will enter dormancy in the middle of summer.

Also, I haven't grown any Sarracenia or Dionaea species indoors long term, but have heard that they will cease growth (enter dormancy) at regular intervals even under uniform conditions. Is this not your experience? I believe John Brittnacher wrote something to that effect in the ICPS seedbank germination guide.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12