Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tropical or non tropical

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah, I see! The teen in question was probably feeling a momentary surge of emotional ecstasy at the thought of 150-200 species of carnivorous plants ready to take over the world. That and Halloween candy & pepperoni pizza might be contributing factors.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aah, that's fully understandable then. If you don't get excited at the thought of over 150 species of Drosera there's gotta be something wrong with you.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Of course my wife (and many others from Pennsylvania) assert that this hobby is morbid - and that there is something wrong with us. More cognitive dissonance!

On a totally different topic, Mr. D'Amato, if I remember correctly, does a great job in oragizing and classifying plants a to whether they are tropical or sub-tropical or...

And now for something completely different - our Bills won yesterday! Of course they had to do it at home and against another horrible team. But a win is a win!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If we are going to hijack this topic we might as well do it properly I guess.

I was amazed to see that the Bills finally managed to score their second win. It was only against Arizona, but any win will do at the moment. Nothing like a bitter cold wind and rain to bring the others down to our level (lower actually)

Hopefully Miami get flogged by the Jets tonight. I'd like to see them outright last in the league.

But back to the topic at hand.
    The only species of Drosera that I would consider to be truly tropical are all of the members of the petiolaris complex as well as D. indica, burmannii, banksii, subtilis, hartmeyerorum, a few forms of spatulata and a number of obscure species from tropical Africa.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mwuahaha
    They say if you play a Microsoft CD backwards, you hear satanic messages. Thats nothing, cause if you play it forwards, it installs Windows.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He's laughing maniacally again....
    Maybe he want's to know which Drosera need a Winter dormancy?
    Let's see...D. rotundifolia, anglica(except from Hawaii), linearis, filiformis, most intermedia locations, stenopetala, acturi. A lot of people are agreeing that D. regia does.

Does that help?

Cheers,

Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess it depends on your definition of tropical. Many species grow between the Tropic of Capricorn and Tropic of Cancer, but many of these on cold/ cool highlands (most species in Venezuela and Brazil for example), while others grow above the tropics in lowlands that can get very hot during summer (like Florida).

The largest concentration of Drosera species is the world are in SW Australia followed by SW South Africa. I guess these could be called subtropical -- but up to what latitude does "subtropical" go?

Depending on your definitions of Tropical, Subtropical, Temperate, and Arctic, you can easily add up the number of species in each category from Jan Schlauer's CP Database (http://www.omnisterra.com/bot/cp_home.cgi), where the geographic range of each species is written. A lot of work, but easy to do.

Have fun!
    Fernando Rivadavia

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123