What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tropical or non tropical

What percentage of drosera are tropical, and which are non tropical?

OK I'll bite. What percent of drosera are tropical and what percent are non-tropical?? ??

biggrin.gif
smile_n_32.gif

All kidding aside, I doubt anyone knows the answer because it's not known how many undiscovered species are out there and new plants are discovered all the time.

Take care,
Steve

well out of the ones weve found...are they mostly tropical or not?

no-one posts in mine!
mad.gif

yeah more tropics than non tropics..

sub tropical and tropical are totally different regions.

There are probably only around 20 species that could be considered to be truly tropical.

What's that supposed to mean?

Oh, that's American for sinister laugh. I know of one Canadian who does that too.

Thanks Jim. I knew what it meant in regards to it being a sinister laugh, just couldn't understand the context, if you know what I mean.

Ah, I see! The teen in question was probably feeling a momentary surge of emotional ecstasy at the thought of 150-200 species of carnivorous plants ready to take over the world. That and Halloween candy & pepperoni pizza might be contributing factors.

Aah, that's fully understandable then. If you don't get excited at the thought of over 150 species of Drosera there's gotta be something wrong with you.

Of course my wife (and many others from Pennsylvania) assert that this hobby is morbid - and that there is something wrong with us. More cognitive dissonance!

On a totally different topic, Mr. D'Amato, if I remember correctly, does a great job in oragizing and classifying plants a to whether they are tropical or sub-tropical or...

And now for something completely different - our Bills won yesterday! Of course they had to do it at home and against another horrible team. But a win is a win!

If we are going to hijack this topic we might as well do it properly I guess.

I was amazed to see that the Bills finally managed to score their second win. It was only against Arizona, but any win will do at the moment. Nothing like a bitter cold wind and rain to bring the others down to our level (lower actually)

Hopefully Miami get flogged by the Jets tonight. I'd like to see them outright last in the league.

But back to the topic at hand.
The only species of Drosera that I would consider to be truly tropical are all of the members of the petiolaris complex as well as D. indica, burmannii, banksii, subtilis, hartmeyerorum, a few forms of spatulata and a number of obscure species from tropical Africa.

Back