What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. slackii

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
How tall and wide do D. slackii grow?

The rosette grows to about 2 inches across and the flowerscape to about 20 inches tall.

Thanks, Sean!

The Savage Graden says 2 to 4 inches.

Are you getting one Scott? You have my interest.
smile_m_32.gif

No, someone has one and wasn't sure if it was adult sized yet.

There is no way a slackii would grow to 4 inches in diameter. I don't know where he came up with that. They might get to 3 if they are grown in insufficient light.

I've got 4 of them with flowerscapes at the moment which are grown in good light. They are just over 2 inches across. That's as big as they'll get in my conditions which are ideal for the species.

Talk about getting a second opinion....

Did I come across as being harsh? Didn't mean to. Just find 4 inches for this species very unlikely.

Mine topped off at three inches diameter, but it can be a semi-caulescent species, the growing tip close to 2 inches above the surface (if well grown and with age), with the older leaves persistent although inactive.

Try rare rather than unlikely. Joe Mazrimas has a slackii almost 5 inches across, but that is during only one part of the season. Normally here, we get them 3 to 4 inches, so it does happen, but commonly 2 to 3 inches is most likely. California weather seems to give added incentive to grow.

Back