Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Different forms of capensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You know, i've read all these responses and i still think that one thing the original poster mentioned (thinking it was an issue of growth habit), and no one addressed, was actually the other aspect of D. capensis: weediness. If you see a photo with leaves coming up all over the soil, it's because the plant has seeded and is sprouting everywhere. They tend to do that. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif[/img]

I'm the one in question that bought that giant form of capensis, and i'm almost certain it's an example of tetraploidy. The wide petioles, the generally larger everything, etc. The label (from D'amato) calls it "Broadleaf Giant".

Matt Opel got some seeds from me a while back, and if the size and habit is due to some interesting genetic shenanigan like tetraploidy, i imagine he'll investigate.
    There's no 'a' in perlite.

My Growlist
    NECPS.org - New England CP growers unite!

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For a picture of mine, just click on my profile tab. Feel free to do so.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

You may also be interested in the following thread on our german board :

http://www.carnivoren.org/cgi-bin....7744161

Even if you can't read german, you will find some pictures there. The flower Bart Wozniak posted of his Drosera capensis 'Montague Pass' was something i have not yet seen before in Drosera capensis. According to Bart the plant is sterile (maybe it is a hybrid?). What other Drosera are growing near Montague Pass? Drosera capensis seems to be much more variable as i ever thought it to be.

regards,
    Christian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Bugweed @ Nov. 05 2004,8:47)]Starman, good descriptions! However, I believe he was talking growing habit. Yes, capensis is basically the same for all species, but do have variation in form and growing habit. Also, there is a giant form, but I have not seen one listed for some years. I did sell one at auction, and still have 3 in the collection. Peter D'Amato refers to my giant as Big Boy. Giant has on occasion grown 12 to 14 inches across, and the leaf blade is different from "typical" plants. Typically, "giant" gets 8 and 10 inches across, with the truly large spread happening if conditions are exactly perfect for the plant.
    I have a "giant"(not sure yet I`ll have to see when I get out) that I got from Dave and it also has hairless petioles that are also all green it`s realy quite neat...
    Lol. my "wide leaf" is a mess! I gotta repot that thing.....

Btw. Dino it`s known as narrow leaf hear in the states.
    [img]http://home.**********.com/users/pondboy/Neps/Neps%20sig..JPG[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (The Griffin @ Nov. 11 2004,1:59)]My favorite one I have seen on Lowrie's list is one called "D. capensis, Wal-Mart". I am guessing someone found one at a Walmart and got seed from it. Good for them, lol

Cheers,

Joe
    Lol. It is good to keep track of sources. Good on him
    [img]http://home.**********.com/users/pondboy/Neps/Neps%20sig..JPG[/img]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12