Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Different forms of capensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy

I apologise if this is a dumb question, but I have been looking at pictures of D. capensis, and I have found a great deal of variation in the placement of the leaves: in some pictures, they seem to sprout from all over the soil in the pot, in others they form ground hugging rosettes, and the one I bought has formed a tall stalk with leaves coming out of it. Are these different mutations or is there just a lot of variations within the species?

thanks,
    ati

United Kingdom (Bristol, England) I am orriginnally from Mostar, Bosnia(one of the countries of former yugoslavia)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are 4 variations of capensis, each looking different to each other.
    Capensis 'typica;' forms a stem over time and has green leaves with orange/red tantacles.
    Capensis 'red' has red tentacles and the hwole plant is a red colour in full sun.
    capensis var 'alba' looks similar to typical, but the tentacles are white and so are the flowers.
    capensis 'small form' looks just like typical, but is reluctant to form a stem and is smaller then the capensis 'typical'
    Carnivorous plants growlist:http://www.**********.com/cgi-bin....t=17597
    Onda je sultan pao mrtav do kostura

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Starman, good descriptions! However, I believe he was talking growing habit. Yes, capensis is basically the same for all species, but do have variation in form and growing habit. Also, there is a giant form, but I have not seen one listed for some years. I did sell one at auction, and still have 3 in the collection. Peter D'Amato refers to my giant as Big Boy. Giant has on occasion grown 12 to 14 inches across, and the leaf blade is different from "typical" plants. Typically, "giant" gets 8 and 10 inches across, with the truly large spread happening if conditions are exactly perfect for the plant.

45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, there are many more forms than the 4 listed by Starman in circulation. Just look at Allen Lowries seed list if you want a laugh, he has a ton of varieties listed. Seed merchants seem happy to list any sort of variation so they can beef up their sales.

This is a very variable species, especially in regards to overall size. Most plants form a sort of stem with age.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last i heard there are four forms: Alba, Narrow leaf, Red, and Typical.
    I myself grow Red and Typical forms, and i can tell you the only difference is color and a little bit of the shape, care is basically the same.
    You have just recieved the Amish Computer Virus. Since the Amish don't have computers, it is based on the honor system. So please delete all the files from your computer. Thank you for your cooperation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As William said, there are many, many more growth forms than the 4 listed. Whether or not some of these forms deserve to have names created for them is another matter entirely. This species cannot be classified into simply 4 different types, there is a huge amount of variation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are two officially registered cultivars of Drosera capensis:
    D. 'Albino' (Borret & Farrow) Registered 10. 11. 1998
    D. 'Narrow Leaf' (D'Amato) Registered 10. 11. 1998

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My favorite one I have seen on Lowrie's list is one called "D. capensis, Wal-Mart". I am guessing someone found one at a Walmart and got seed from it. Good for them, lol

Cheers,

Joe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast