What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tuberous drosera

Most of my tuberous seed has not germinated, but still looks fine. The freeze is here and I can not leave the seed outside any longer. Do I bring it in and leave it with my dormancy tank or just in a warm room? What do I do with it now?

Thanks

I grew some once but they are dead now
confused.gif

They never got big enough to form a sizable tuber for the next growing season but thats not whay I'm responding to your post.

Mine never germinated while outside. I brought them inside into my grow room where they sat for about a month then sure enough several sprouted! I would bring them inside and put them under lights and wait. I have heard they can take up to a year to germinate.

Hopefully someone who has been more successful than I have can post.

PS I am growing D. auriculata (sp?) and thay are doing fine, so far.

Glenn

Thanks Glenn. They are in.

Glenn,

I have the same problems with growing from seed. We don't get enough sunlight here for the plants to behave as in habitat.

Rose, you did the right thing in bringing them in. Don't worry about the dormancy issue, but also do not give up hope if the seedlings do die back. I have had them return against all expectation, so they can in fact form small tubers. For me, the process contines for a couple of seasons and then the plants wane and die.

Plants from established tubers fare much better, but there are few sources for material not field collected. Phill Mann in Australia continues with his efforts to introduce these species to In Vitro culture. He says the introduction is successful, but that the plants are difficult to adjust to the reversed seasons.....a fact I can attest to. I am delighted to see the return of one tuber of D. finbriata. I started with 10 tubers, but only this one has adjusted to our reversed seasons.

Back