What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to care for D. capensis 'Albino' seedlings

Hi,

I have grown some D. capensis 'Albino' from seed. It's been a few months now, and I was wondering, will I need to feed them in their first year of life? Their leaves are so small, and with winter coming, I don't think I can find any bugs. They seem to be doing fine, and they're producing lots of "dew". I'm just not sure what to do with them.

-Ben

They are probably catching tiny bugs like fungus gnats. I fed D. adelae plantlets a tiny drop of milk(wet a piece of dried grass with milk and dabbed it on the leaves) and they did well till I killed them.

One thing to remember is that aside from their carnivorous attributes, they are still plants and the majority of their nourishment comes from light and water. Don't worry about feeding them bugs. They will catch the ones attracted to the light on the window sill.

one thing i have used quite effectivly with my capensis seedlings is tiny particles of fish food flakes. its kinda hard to get the small pieces on the leaves, but if you do your plants will take off.

I fed a few of my seedlings and they are about twice as big as the ones i didnt feed, so it does help them to feed them

Ok, thanks. Though, my plants are sealed in plastic bags, and I'm not too sure that fungas gnats manage to get into the bag.

<span style='font-size:11pt;line-height:100%'>I would advise caution when feeding any CP while they are confined to the artificially high humidity and lower light levels in the plastic bag environment. My experience has been that fungus usually attacks the meal quickly and harms the plant in some ways.</span>

Back