What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera regia 'Big Easy'

Joseph Clemens

Staff member
<span style='font-size:11pt;line-height:100%'>In early November of 2004 I planted two Drosera regia 'Big Easy' plants into a 5 gallon white plastic bucket. About 4 inches up from the bottom I drilled two 3/8 inch diameter holes for drainage. I then filled the bucket with washed coarse gravel until the gravel level reached the drainage holes. I then placed a 4 inch diameter plastic tube (with many one inch long slits cut into its sides) vertically in the center of the bucket (the tube extends above the top of the bucket) and using the same gravel I poured gravel into the plastic tube until it was almost filled to its top. Next I filled in around the tube with moistened and rinsed LFS. Into this LFS layer I planted two medium sized Drosera regia 'Big Easy' plants. I kept this outside in my yard. They had been doing nicely, catching flies and other small flying creatures, even tolerating our first frost of the season (temperatures into the 30's F). However, recently we have had colder temperatures, into the 20's F and the above ground parts of the plants have now died.</span>

I just transplanted my 2 'Big Easy's last week, and wouldn't you know it they showed no signs of shock. I was suprised that the root system on one of the plants was easily 18 inches long I bet wrapped around in a 4 inch pot!! Needless to say I took some root cuttings
smile_n_32.gif

They experience temps in the low 60F at night... nothing like what your plants went through. If I put mine outside, they would have to deal with temps well into the 20's, so that option is out.

Thanks for the info PinguiculaMan
smile.gif

-Homer

I have never had a good time with D. regia. I always kill them. However, if I can get one of these guys, I wouldn't mind trying again!! Joe Mazrimas says they can take a freeze or 2 anyway. And we just had ours!!

I anticipate that perhaps (cross my fingers), that this treatment will inspire these plants to flower. I have no end of success getting them to grow and propagate vegetatively, but no flowers yet.

Flowers would be cool. I still want to get this Big Easy. I am tired of killing a favorite drosera. I had only one get leaves up to 30"-33" and 1" wide, and thought I finally had it down. It sent up a scape, and within three days the plant was dead. I still am not sure what killed any of my regia, or my slackii. Big Easy sounds right up my alley. Any available?

Back