User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Sundew recommendations needed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since I know jack about sundews, I was wondering if I could get some recommendations as to what would be some good sundews to start growing in a greenhouse. my wife is in charge of the greenhouse on campus where she works. it's not a stove house type, the temp probably dips a bit at night here in WI during the winter, perhaps into the 60's. there's heaters in there, but I don't know what the thermostat is set at. i'm looking to start some in there just for the heck of it. i'm hoping to get something that's easy, will thrive, and hopefully grow mostly year-round.

thanks in advance

United Kingdom (Bristol, England) I am orriginnally from Mostar, Bosnia(one of the countries of former yugoslavia)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmmmm, a greenhouse you say?
    D.capensis and D.aliciae are very easy(also do very well on windowsills too [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img] )
    I think any sundew that likes frost free enviroment is good for the greenhouse, I wouldnt attempt any of the temperate sundews though, esspecially not D.rotundifolia(I heard it tends to rot away int he greenhouse in winter, it does best outside anyway)
    Dino [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/cool.gif[/img]
    Carnivorous plants growlist:http://www.**********.com/cgi-bin....t=17597
    Onda je sultan pao mrtav do kostura

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd go with something from the binata complex. They are bombproof, available in many sizes and are great for pest control.
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--
    actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, D. filiformis types! A must have in any collection. I have special likings to D. filiformis 'California Sunset' a very robust and tall growing plant.

I thought you people where \"Plant Geeks\", Look at me Now...

Growing List-
    http://www.**********.com/cgi-bin....t=17062

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (sarracenia @ Dec. 08 2004,5:35)]my wife is in charge of the greenhouse on campus where she works. it's not a stove house type, the temp probably dips a bit at night here in WI during the winter, perhaps into the 60's. there's heaters in there, but I don't know what the thermostat is set at. i'm looking to start some in there just for the heck of it. i'm hoping to get something that's easy, will thrive, and hopefully grow mostly year-round.
    That sounds like the conditions in our temperate room at HSU. The purpose of our small CP collection is to give students a flavor of some of the the variety, yet be essentially maintenance free. So we grow binata, capensis, filiformis, peltata, regia, sessilifolia, spatulata, and several pygmy species. The binata and filiformis go dormant in the winter and the peltata grows now and then. We also grow a small variety of Pinguicula, Genlisea, Utricularia, Sarracenia, and a few VFT. I have been allotted a space of about 3 feet by 10 feet, so plants get crowded together.