What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D.binata

Can D.binata take cold temps?Or can it be grow with no dormancy?

Jerry

they can freeze, then sprout again from the roots.
smile.gif

Thanks for the information!

Jerry

I am not positive about this, but I have read that some clones of D. binata are apparently more sensitive to freezing than others. I expect that those originating from more tropical climates would survive freezing less well than those from more temperate locations.

Yeah,thats what I'm afraid of.Oh well,they have already froze.I'll have to wait till spring and see if they grow back.

Jerry

Uh, keeping them frozen until spring might not be a good idea. If possible I would bring them into somewhere that can provide them, at least, minimum culture conditions so they can begin to recover from their ordeal.

I had mine freeze to 15F but it was only for a few hours when the greenhouse heater went out. A quick freeze might not kill your tropical CPs but a long one will most likely do them in.

Yeah,I might do that.It does'nt get freezing cold here much,but we had a week where it got down in the 20s-30s at night.I have some D.intermedia 'Cuba' outside and they still look good,I have more inside,just seeing if they can take cold weather.So far so good.Thanks for all the information!

Jerry

Back