Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: D. filiformis (all red) babies

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Say Laura, when did you stratify and what sort of setup are you working? I sowed some D. filiformis ssp. filiformis (along with a lot of others) three weeks ago, outdoors, and I'm wondering what to expect. Would it be a good idea to bring them in under lights when I see seedlings?
    Thanks,
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am happily reporting my D. filiformis "all red" (Florida) moldy dormant buds have sprouted. I really thought they would die (They were moldy when I got them). I hope they take as well from leaf cuttings as D. filiformis ssp. tracyi (Buck Pond)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Uh oh... I'm probably the wrong person to ask. Can we say wing and a prayer?

This particular seed was not cold stratified although all of my sarracenia seed was damp/cold stratified for 30 days in a frig. I chose not to start my D. filiformis outside because of my zone and because I suspected the seed to have had origins in the south. I am using a frame that has mirrored mylar on three sides. There is stryrofoam pink residential grade foam insulation underneath the unit, on top of the unit, and attached to all 3 sides and I have a piece cut to set in front. I have 3 gooseneck light fixtures in there to increase the temps to about 75F. All of the seed trays are on heating pads. I have Sarracenia seed set to about 82F and the other seed trays are set to 80F. There is a small oscillating fan in there. The frame has 3 shop lighting fixtures with reflectors suspended from the roof that are about 22" above the seed trays. There are 6 nice long grow bulbs in the lighting fixtures. Come, the end of May, I will begin moving the seed trays outside to let Ma Nature have a go at hardening them and then I will move them back inside sometime late afternoon until I eventually leave them outside 24/7 for the summer. This was my game plan but I have no idea if it is appropriate as I haven't gotten that far.

My gut feeling is that if you are starting your seed outside, they might take a little longer to germinate. I also get this little voice that tells me you should not bring them back inside when they start germinating as Ma Nature knows far better how to take care of her seedlings than you and I. Besides which, seed sown outside is far less susceptible to fungus and won't need to be hardened off. I'd leave what ever germinates outside right where it was. Now if you want to bring it in next fall, check with others here for advice on that. I am clueless.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey, no worries, that's plenty of info for me! If I have to wait a little longer for results with my seeds, it'll be all the better when they do come up. Thanks for the setup details, too - lots of good ideas.
    ~Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you live anywhere in northeastern Il or southeastern WI, I have left over mylar and some of that pink stuff. The shop lights came from Menards or maybe it was Home Depot. The grow bulbs I did have to purchase online somewhere but they're out there and they are most unfortunately about $20 a piece. A combination of a cool white fluorescent and a warm fluorescent should work just fine and they can be purchased in packs for a more reasonable price. There are many people who do not use grow bulbs. I am relatively sure you can do without grow bulbs to get seed to germinate but if you are going to go for this inside, the heating pads are probably a must to get the soil temps up. One comment about heating pads... make sure whatever brand you buy doesn't have an auto shut off feature. I bought several of those and kept wondering why they shut off- duh.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heh, I'm way out in Washington, but thanks for the offer! I definitely won't be doing any more seeds this season - my growing areas are just about overflowing from my big Christmas CP purchase (which was proceeded by a big Thanksgiving succulent/tropical purchase - I can't help myself sometimes.)
    ~Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Say Joe, where do you buy your seed? Can you provide me with a link?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll PM you about it - I don't want to break any rules about talking about where to buy stuff that PFT sells.
    ~Joe

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast