What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. capensis x capensis (alba)

I used a communal Q-tip for pollinating my D. capensis flowers, (alba) and (typical). What happens when the two are crossed. My seedlings have sprouted but so far they all look like (alba) to me. When does the (typical) begin to show red or has anyone tried crossing these before and know what happens?

Thanks
Chris

i would keep watching them. you may not notice much. another problem is that D. capensis is self fertile so not every seed may be an actual cross. good luck

Do tell us what happens though

D. capensis 'Pale Leaves'
D. capensis 'Pink'
D. capensis 'Faded Red'
lol

Welcome to the forum Chris,

First, identifications such as Drosera capensis 'alba' or 'typical' are not entirely valid. The actual registered cultivars of Drosera are listed here: CP Database Drosera cultivar search
Just because a name is included on this list does not automatically make it a valid registered cultivar, you need to check under HC: on the list, if there is a date there then it is a valid registration, otherwise, it is not.

Though this list, sorry to say, is not kept 100% current. It is the best we have, so far.
- - - - - - -
It sounds like SunPitcher is suggesting possible cultivar names for any progeny from such a cross:
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]D. capensis 'Pale Leaves'
D. capensis 'Pink'
D. capensis 'Faded Red'
- - - - - - -
It does sound like Drosera 'Albino' is the first plant you mention, the one you call "alba". An imperfect way to describe differences in our plants that are not formally registered as cultivars is to include the information in parentheses, brackets, or double quotes. Single quotes are reserved for identifying cultivar names. The other parent you mention in your post would most likely be identified; such as, Drosera capensis (wide leaf), (narrow leaf), or (all red), etc.

To answer your question about potential results of this cross. I have not produced this crossing nor do I know of anyone else who has. If anyone has I would encourage them to report it on this thread.

Thanks guys, when the plants get bigger I'll get some pics. The longest leaves right now are only about an inch.

Here is a photo of a tray of mixed Drosera capensis types I just took. You've got me thinking about crossing the (all red) with Drosera 'Albino'.

D_capensis_mixed_group_A.jpg

Sounds good to me. I was expecting incomplete-dominance, for a mix like SunPitcher was joking about, but so far the hairs seem the same. But if the leaves were different colors it might be easier to tell.

A cross resulting in red leaves and albina hair would be a cool cultivar.

Back