User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: D. scorpioides has arrived!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just recieved some D. scorpioides in the mail, and i was wondering how long it takes for them to grow up. They are just sprouting from gemmae. Also, the were bare root, do i have to bury the little root, or do i just have to place it on top of the media, and let it burrow down?

Thanks
    Dave

Update: Parents convinced to allow me to keep greenhouse heated over winter. Most species will not be lost. Too lazy to update growlist.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Were they plants of gemmae? If gemmae they should grow down. If plants definatly bury the root

VFT and Drosera lover vft guy in SJ's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Put them in a tall pot with a mix of 70-80% sand and peat. If they are already beginning to sprout, poke the tiny root into the soil as best you can. If not, make sure the "bump" side is up and the smooth side down. Put the pot in a deep tray of water so the water level is roughly 1/4 the way up the side of the pot and put the whole thing under fluorescent lights. They should sprout within a couple weeks but can be viable for a month or more. You live near me so your weather is ideal for D. scorpioides, in late Feb-early March, move them outside in full sun and treat them like a VFT or Sarr. My D.scorpioides plants did very well here in San Jose all summer long. They showed absolutely no ill effect from the 100+ degree weather or the low teens humidity.

Good luck
    Steve
    There are only 2 infinite things... the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not too sure about the universe.