What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. capensis flowering!

I have a D. capensis flowering now. I was wondering how to sow the seed. I would appreciate tips on what i should do to get them to germinate, and to keep em' alive until they get above the infancy stage.

Thanks
Dave

P.S. It's the red variation.

I would say just sprinkle a few around the mother plant. D. capensis is extremely hearty and will quickly become a weed in your collection... pretty soon you will be making posts along the lines of "Ugghhh my D. capensis is flowering AGAIN.... :- ( How do I make it stop" lol

You will have plenty of seed to experiment with if it does actually make seed (Im not sure about the red form but all my others are massive seed producers) I would say experiment some, try different methods of growing the seeds and see what works best.

Steve

capensis is simple, sprinkle seed on moist soil and wait. you should see tiny lil seedlings within 10 days.

Wait until the flower buds turn brown and then remove them. If the whole stalk is done, I cut off the stalk and put it into a paper envelope and let the buds open and dump the seeds. Sometimes I have cut off individual buds into an envelope. Then, like others have said, just sprinkle them into a pot of moist peat. I also like to use chopped pure LFS. I've had good germination success with that.

I'm glad your capensis is doing well for you. Now you will have lots of babies.
smile.gif

I might seel em' on CPUK for 50 cents if i get enough.

So what you said PlantAKiss, do i do that before they bloom or after? Are the buds what come before blooming? If so, i'd like to leave it on the plant until they bloom, and once the flowers die, then i put em' in the bag and wait until i get the seed pods.

i'm not good at gauging when to pluck the seed pods, so i wrap the scape in cheesecloth untill they pop. that way they wont fall out.

but for capensis i just cut the scapes off.

I just had a good idea. I will take a small bag, and wrap it around the top of the flower stalk with a bit of tape. Assuming it doesn't pull the stalk over, it will collect the seed once they "pop"
smile.gif

Back