Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cutting question

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't really need the soil then, if all it does is hold it down. I really need to know how to keep the leaves from drying up. They always turn brown on me after the first week or so.

EDIT: I just realized that it has bee about a week since i took the cuttings. Here is the news. One as left totally uncovered, this is now wilting. Another accidentally had some media put on it during the cleaving. I just realized that this one actually had some dew left on it and has not started to wilt!!! I finally found out how to keep them hydrated! It turns out that the soil on the leaves is not JUST for holding it down. It holds it down so it can absorb water more easily. I feel happy that at long last one of my cuttins will survive! There is another one that i took 3 days ago in pure water, it looks just as good as when i snipped it.
    Update: Parents convinced to allow me to keep greenhouse heated over winter. Most species will not be lost. Too lazy to update growlist.

It's been one of dem days BigCarnivourKid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keeping the soil moist will keep the leaves from dying out. Covering the container also helps by reducing evaporation from the soil so it doesn't dry out so fast and it holds in humidity which helps because the leaves don't have roots to replace water lost through transpiration. That means the leaf won't lose water as fast also, which will reduce stress on the leaf while it gets about the job of producing plantlets.

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (TunaSurprise @ Jan. 29 2005,12:12)]It turns out that the soil on the leaves is not JUST for holding it down. It holds it down so it can absorb water more easily.
    Bingo! You got it. See. You learned from this, so the dried up cuttings weren't wasted after all [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif[/img]! Sometimes, though the humidity is so low that you may need to cover the pot until the sprouts develope well enough to survive with out it..
    ---Steve Allinger---

How come chicken fingers are bigger than buffalo wings?

My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just float mine in clear glasses of pure water in bright light. No drying out, just lots of nice little plants.
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm doing one in pure water, one covered up, and one that is definitely gonna die, no covering at all. Well, at least i know how to make cuttings work! Now if someone could just tell me how to lay down the D. binata (dichotoma) leaves for cutting...

Update: Parents convinced to allow me to keep greenhouse heated over winter. Most species will not be lost. Too lazy to update growlist.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Easier to float the Drosera binata (dichotoma) leaves in a glass of water.
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just cover the D. capensis leaf with pure peat all the way to where the tentacles begin.

John 3:16
    My grow list/want list
    Prior to the funeral home visit, we heard ~ "Hey'all watch this ! !"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12