What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cutting question

Hi all,
I was just wondering how long it takes to see signs of life from a D. capensis cutting (leaf cutting).
Thanks
Dave

Ok thanks. Darn it, the first time i tried the cuttings, they dried up after two weeks, and i threw em' out. Can the leaves dry out, and plants still rise up? If so, than i am such an IDIOT i could have done about 10 successful cuttings before these.

One week, or 30, if you let them dry out, even once, then they are dead.

I keep the soil damp 24/7, on the tray method. They stupid cuttings still die.
mad.gif
 How do i keep them moist? I am rooting one in pure water right now, is that the only way? One more thing, if in soil, do i have to bury the leaves a little? If i do, then again, i am SUCH AN IDIOT!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I am rooting one in pure water right now, is that the only way?

No, root cuttings work well. I bury 1-2 inch sections of root under a fine layer of soil medium. New plants start growing in a matter of weeks.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]One more thing, if in soil, do i have to bury the leaves a little?

I would bury the ends of the leaves just a tad. Even better, place the entire pot in a ziplock bag. That works excellent for all kinds of cuttings... if you haven't done so already.

Homer

For starters you ARE NOT an idiot
mad.gif
! No more than the rest of us were when we started! 'nuff said on that.

I usually put a sprinkle of soil on the leaf in a couple places to help hold it down 'cause otherwise it tends to curl up away from the soil. It also helps to put saran wrap or a clear lid over the pot to slow down evaporation. I then place the container in a place where it gets bright indirect sun or dappled sun (like in the shade of other plants).

I don't really need the soil then, if all it does is hold it down. I really need to know how to keep the leaves from drying up. They always turn brown on me after the first week or so.

EDIT: I just realized that it has bee about a week since i took the cuttings. Here is the news. One as left totally uncovered, this is now wilting. Another accidentally had some media put on it during the cleaving. I just realized that this one actually had some dew left on it and has not started to wilt!!! I finally found out how to keep them hydrated! It turns out that the soil on the leaves is not JUST for holding it down. It holds it down so it can absorb water more easily. I feel happy that at long last one of my cuttins will survive! There is another one that i took 3 days ago in pure water, it looks just as good as when i snipped it.

Keeping the soil moist will keep the leaves from dying out. Covering the container also helps by reducing evaporation from the soil so it doesn't dry out so fast and it holds in humidity which helps because the leaves don't have roots to replace water lost through transpiration. That means the leaf won't lose water as fast also, which will reduce stress on the leaf while it gets about the job of producing plantlets.

EDIT:
[b said:
Quote[/b] (TunaSurprise @ Jan. 29 2005,12:12)]It turns out that the soil on the leaves is not JUST for holding it down. It holds it down so it can absorb water more easily.
Bingo! You got it. See. You learned from this, so the dried up cuttings weren't wasted after all
laugh.gif
! Sometimes, though the humidity is so low that you may need to cover the pot until the sprouts develope well enough to survive with out it..

I just float mine in clear glasses of pure water in bright light. No drying out, just lots of nice little plants.

I'm doing one in pure water, one covered up, and one that is definitely gonna die, no covering at all. Well, at least i know how to make cuttings work! Now if someone could just tell me how to lay down the D. binata (dichotoma) leaves for cutting...

Easier to float the Drosera binata (dichotoma) leaves in a glass of water.

I just cover the D. capensis leaf with pure peat all the way to where the tentacles begin.

Back