What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D.capensis

How often does the D. capensis bloom in the summer?

It's blooming for me even as I speak. These guys are the rabbits of the plant world
smile_n_32.gif

Actually they put the rabbits to shame...

Mine only flowered once, 6 months after I took it out of my U.bisquamata 'bettys bay' pot, hasnt flowered since.....
I guess D.capensis doesnt flower very often in the U.K.
Similar story with my D.aliciae, only flowered once since I got it last spring.

I've got one flowering now, and i've heard that they flower about once every 6 months. Not totally sure though.

My capensis will rest for about 2 months and then it flowers, repeat.

Mine flowered, or at least attempted to flower 3 times from June until November.

Depends on how you grow them. Mine are almost continuously flowering. Before one flower stalk is finished another begins growing. Sometimes there are three or more going on the same plant, each flower stalk of different ages and stages of growth.

Is flowering related to light or humidity conditions? I'd like to keep mine flowering if possible, as I really don't have too many plants that flower reliably; it would be nice to have something blooming year-round.
~Joe

For my conditions I believe that consistent feeding with sprinklings of freeze-dried bloodworms in addition to plenty of light for extended periods each day but no lack of moisture, humidity, warm temperatures, and other normally suitable environmental factors commonly recognized as necessary for successful cultivation of Drosera capensis.

A month ago I moved mine to a new setup with much better lighting. It's beginning to color up quite nicely now, gets plenty of food and humidity, and has recently started to put out stolons, so I suspect it's only a matter of time before I see flowers. However, I have my lights on a 10-hour-day photoperiod for the winter - will this inhibit flowering? When you say, "extended periods each day" do you mean longer-than-natural photoperiods or just high light levels while the sun is up?
Thanks,
~Joe

All my CP are grown under lights and the timer is set for 15 hours/day.

The frequent flowering and subsequent seed production can be a bit annoying though the flowers do have their charm, the excess seed can be less than charming.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (PinguiculaMan @ Jan. 31 2005,2:36)]For my conditions I believe that consistent feeding with sprinklings of freeze-dried bloodworms in addition to plenty of light for extended periods each day but no lack of moisture, humidity, warm temperatures, and other normally suitable environmental factors commonly recognized as necessary for successful cultivation of Drosera capensis.
No offense, but you could grow these things in a mix of old cans and coffee grounds and they'd thrive
smile_m_32.gif

in the summer, i had like 5 flower stalk come up and set seed.
my D. capensis were in a bog garden, and caught lots of bugs, along with have a nice amount of light.
I think with sundews, its about how much light they get, but humidity is a laarge factor to
just my thoughts
Hellz
PS i dont think D. capensis makes Stolons
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]and has recently started to put out stolons

I don't have any capensis until I sow some seed, but I had only one flower-ever. I had it continously for 15 years or so. I have no explanation for that. Maybe lack of feeding?

Cheers,

Joe

D. capensis really doesnt need a whole lot of humidity but it thrives in LOTS and LOTS of light and constantly moist soil. ive hit as low as 30% and it doesnt phase capensis one bit but insificiant light will make a scraggly looking plant. i think thats why most dont think much of the species. its a common easy to get species so they pay it no special attention and give it less than ideal light, saving the best positions for other species pushing D. capensis to some lonely back corner. but with a lil attention this species is one of the showyest of the Drosera and will get someones attention. Here is a pic of my "Typical" and D. 'Albino' before they got hit with a cold draft. IMHO these are a couple of really well grown capensis although ive seen pics of other members plants that really put mine to shame. can you tell this is one of my favorite species?
smile_m_32.gif

Editor's comments: Single quotes on the cultivar name D. 'Albino' since it is actually a valid cultivar name.

WOW,what were your growing conditions for that D. capensis?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The Griffin @ Feb. 01 2005,7:07)]I don't have any capensis until I sow some seed, but I had only one flower-ever. I had it continously for 15 years or so. I have no explanation for that. Maybe lack of feeding?
One capensis flower in 15 years? Weird! How were you growing it? It must be that Nebraska vortex (or whatever Dorothy and Toto encountered).

basically the top of the pots are 12-14 inches from 4-four foot 32 watt flourecent lights on a 13 hour day cycle. they sit in a tray of water that is almost constantly 1 inch deep. i suppose the top of the higher leaves are with in 6 inches of the lights. most flower stalks grow up between the lights. as fare as capensis go they are average sized but seem more compact than most i have seen which is where i figure that most ppl dont give them enough light. theya re in 3.5 inch pots and there is only 2 or maybe 3 individual plants in each pot.

Back