Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: D. regia

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    My "normal" (if you can call it that) was traded to me but was said to be from CC... It sat in the g/h all winter and grew the whole time. I know joseph (pingman) has never given any of his regia plants any dormancy... So, I don't know what to tell you on that. I wish you luck though! And i would say to take root cuttings before doing anything drastic.
    Andrew
    -Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually I have three that I have left outside this fall and winter. The second and third frosts killed all above-ground growth. The roots and rhizome still feel firm. I'm hoping that this "dormancy" will inspire flowering and renewed vigor.
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    D. regia does not require a dormancy, but does go dormant in cold climes. Joe Mazrimas thought his was a goner when it got down to 26 degreesF around here. But, it came back in spring, in his greenhouse. He grows his in pure LFS and they do well even in a very hot greenhouse. His regia is partially shaded too.
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did take root cuttings, and we will see how they go. I have the plant on a cooler, yet pm sunny windowsill. I am going to try a few different places for this plant. thanks again

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have mine in my greenhouse, it seems to get enough sunlight, it's looking a bit sluggish right now, due to lower sunlight hours, ect. It seems to be happy though, i'm 99% sure it is not big easy.
    Update: Parents convinced to allow me to keep greenhouse heated over winter. Most species will not be lost. Too lazy to update growlist.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the size of pot might be an important consideration. I have been growing D. regia in 10-inch and 12-inch pots where the large and extensive root system has room to expand. I think that a 4-inch pot is perhaps too small for developing a large and robust D. regia.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BobZ,
    I hope you are correct concerning this size issue. Of course, it is completely logical, and easy to observe similar behaviour in nearly all container grown plants, CP included. I recently potted up some 4" pot grown Drosera 'Big Easy' into a 5 gallon bucket of LFS and am keeping it outside where they have gone dormant, hopefully. Perhaps when they resume growth they may flower. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    reading up on what I can of the plant in the savage garden, it states that the crowns may die back in cooler or winter times but does come back in the summer. I think that this is the case, and I will update with another post in the spring. hopefully a happy post. thanks for all the advice. I will take the repotting issue under consideration soon.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12